Dumb bike doesn't like to idle

Why is it that every time my bike sits for a month or more the pilot jet gets clogged and I have to take the carb out and replace it. I try to drain the fuel out if it if I think it is going to sit for a while. But some times I don't, thinking I'm going to ride it again soon. Then next time I start it up the bike won't stay at an idle without dying.

Is there any thing I am doing wrong or is there and easier fix then yanking out the whole carb every time I get lazy and don't drain the gas.

Frustrated DRZ owner.

Ever put any stabilizer in it?

Especially if you're using E10!  Maybe a bit of Techron too?

Over winter I do.

Try to find a station in your city that still sells "real" gasoline. I have two stations to choose from where I live. I run ethanol free gas only in my DRZ & grounds equipment. The octane is higher too. I still add stabilizer to it for winter storage. They call it "premium non ethanol" and is marked in blue in the stations here. Ethanol melted a gas tank seal on my John Deere rider & clogged the carb a few years back. Premium non-e used in all equipment ever since. Good luck searching & hope it solves your issue.

Never though about what gas I put in it. Is it better to run it on higher octane gas?

Never though about what gas I put in it. Is it better to run it on higher octane gas?

No, you want to run the lowest octane that doesn't produce any pinging or detonation.  For the standard DRZ400S, 87 octane and DRZ400E 91 octane.  So unless you have higher compression pistons or a "thinner" base gasket, just run what's recommended.  It won't hurt nothing to run higher octane than needed, but its a waste of money and a small amount of power.

It's NOT the octane that's clogging the carb, it's the ethanol like mentioned above. You need to find gasoline without ethanol regardless of octane rating, it will last a bit longer without gumming.

Or run the carb dry every time you park it at home.

Why is it that every time my bike sits for a month or more the pilot jet gets clogged and I have to take the carb out and replace it. I try to drain the fuel out if it if I think it is going to sit for a while. But some times I don't, thinking I'm going to ride it again soon. Then next time I start it up the bike won't stay at an idle without dying.

Is there any thing I am doing wrong or is there and easier fix then yanking out the whole carb every time I get lazy and don't drain the gas.

Frustrated DRZ owner.

in line fuel filter would help, and run the float bowl empty each time you park it. :)

Thanks, sounds like I just have to drain the float bowl each time what a pain. Or I guess I could just ride it more that sounds better. To bad winter is right around the corner.

I say if you cant ride it cause its snowy or too cold out,  at least start it up every 2 weeks,  and let it rev for a bit,  get everything flowing for a few minutes. 

Not good to let things sit for too long imo.