Sign in to follow this  

What's your favorite brake pad?

It's about time for some new pads on my YZ295 woods bike.  I have never had to buy brake pads for a bike because I never keep them long enough to wear a set out, LOL.  I'm looking for recommenations for replacements.  What's your favorite brand and type?

It's about time for some new pads on my YZ295 woods bike.  I have never had to buy brake pads for a bike because I never keep them long enough to wear a set out, LOL.  I'm looking for recommenations for replacements.  What's your favorite brand and type?

When I raced KX's back in the 90's many of us would run OEM Honda CR pads in our KX's. Much better compound that the pi$$ poor KX pads.  Now that i've spent a lot of time with OEM Yamaha pads they feel almost identical to CR pads, so I suggest OEM Yammi pads. Be very carefull about race compound sintered aftermarket pads, they can be extremely premature wear abusive on your rotors. (especially if you race in a lot of muddy water)

Edited by Polar_Bus
  • Like 1

I'm also starting to appreciate the YZ OEM pads.  Someone gave me some aftermarket pads a while back and haven't had the desire to try them.

I like OEM Yamaha.  I can certainly tell you not to buy EBC ceramics.  They kill rotors, they fade, and the DO NOT work when wet.  Tried some Galfer pads that cost more than OEM and they lived half the life and performed no better.  The EBC metallics feel good until you get them hot then they work too good, absolutely no control just lockup.

Edited by 1987CR250R
  • Like 1

08 CRF450 pads for me. Yes they fit '08 YZ250 +.

I took it a step further and bought a CRf front caliper from Adrenaline Cycles (used online store) for $45.  The BEST mod I have ever done - bar none

08 CRF450 pads for me. Yes they fit '08 YZ250 +.

I took it a step further and bought a CRf front caliper from Adrenaline Cycles (used online store) for $45.  The BEST mod I have ever done - bar none

Honestly how much front brake power do you need ??? The '07+ wave   brakes on the YZ's have tremendous stopping power stock, my '08 YZ125 will almost throw me over the bars in ideal traction.   What exactly is the difference with the CRF caliper ?

I was going to start shopping for the parts for that conversion but the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced I really didn't need it.  OE on my bike works quite adequately.

• Like 1

Back in the 2000s, Braking made a black front organic pad for the YZ which was better than OEM. I tested a Braking oversized wave rotor kit and then used the pads separately with the 260 mm dia OEM rotor. Those pads accounted for half of the improvement of the kit. THey were very good. I know Yamaha have developed its pad material since then but I haven't done a back to back comparison (latest braking vs latest OEM pads). Obviously this soft pad would not be suitable for muddy conditions (to the point where the rotor holes are being plugged with mud) but seemed to wear acceptably well in a mix of conditions in Australia including some light offroad mud. Note that Braking's racing YZ front pad appears to be a semi-metailic compound now.

I used EBC sintered on the back of my KTM and they didn't grip or last as long as OEM KTM. I have since used EBC carbon/ceramic on the back of my YZ. They work acceptably well but can't say I've tested in the wet. They don't seem as though they wear the rotor. Life and grip is similar to OEM. I have not noticed any brake fade, although I'm not a rear brake dragger. I installed the CRF pads on my stock 2006 YZ front brake. CRF front pads made a small but noticiable improvement.

Remember to use brake cleaner often as most compounds are porous to WD40, bike shine, fork oil and oil from road grime when you trailer your bike. This is particularly important if your ride in dry conditions where pad rotor wear is pretty minimal. I never sand the pads (they're constantly matching disc to pad during riding) but do clean the out the mud grooves and around the edge of the pad material at least a couple of times during the life of the pads. This cleans trapped oil and grease from the pad edges.

• Like 1