Sign in to follow this  

What chain and sprockets should I buy?

I'm a newb when it comes to chains. I have an '06 SM with 15-41 gearing. I think I want to keep the same gearing... and probably an O-ring because I do mostly street riding right?

Any links to good kits/deals are appreciated.

Ok cool, so where is the best place to buy, and how many links do I need?

You need 114......and as far as where to buy, compare on e-bay. I got mine from the local motoshop and he gives me a 5%discount off what I find online...plus no shipping. BTW, I don't have an O ring chain....mine is a 520ZVM-X

I would look for a kit. Did so on a different bike and it was easier and cheaper. Get it all at once and it was plug and play.

K... I am looking for an O-ring chain because it requires less maintenance, correct? You are all suggesting x-ring and non o-ring chains

O rings have an "O" seal and x rings seal at two points. If you're going to use it off road at all, I persoanlly would get the O ring chain. I wouldn't say the O is less maintenance, but I would say it needs less maintenance then the X ring to get the same life out of them both.

In a nutshell, I'd say the O-ring is better at sealing.

Edited by ZMagic97

You need 114......and as far as where to buy, compare on e-bay. I got mine from the local motoshop and he gives me a 5%discount off what I find online...plus no shipping. BTW, I don't have an O ring chain....mine is a 520ZVM-X

114 ? hmm i could have sworn all the dizzers came with 112...

• Like 1

114 ? hmm i could have sworn all the dizzers came with 112...

Whooops......good catch, my bad.....112 is right. Thanks   :(

I used the Primary Drive steel sprockets and gold X-ring chain kit on the WR426F that I used to have and it worked great!  For $89 + some miscellaneous parts to get my order over $100, I was quite happy with it.  Will most likely get the same thing for the DRZ when it needs it.

K... I am looking for an O-ring chain because it requires less maintenance, correct? You are all suggesting x-ring and non o-ring chains

x-ring is a sealed chain just like an o-ring but the x-ring is supposed to have a better seal, and hold more lube.
  • Like 1

X & W-ring chains have o-rings whose cross-section is not a circle but some other shape (implied by their names).  Supposedly they seal better because of multiple seal points and produce less friction.  They also cost more than o-ring and non o-ring chains.  For mostly off-road duty I would stick with an o-ring chain, unless you really want that last bit of HP and weight reduction... then go with a non o-ring chain.  For mostly street duty I would either use an o-ring or spring the few extra bucks and get an x /w-ring chain.

Edited by bmwpowere36m3
  • Like 1

The SM is 110 links. Count how many plates you have, should be 55 and multiply by 2 = 110.

I would recommend a chain with a riveted master link. Make sure the chain is on true by measuring the rear wheel alignment. You have to measure the distance between the left and right side of the rear wheel. The way I do this, stick a rod/pole/dowel/heavy wire in the front swingarm bolt that goes through the engine case, and one through the rear wheel axle. Take a tape measure and measure the distance between the two points for each side of the wheel. I like to use a metric tape measure. If you can't get a riveted master link (I couldn't on my DID VX2 chain) use a master clip and RTV (heat resistant silicon) it to the master link plate. Any side to side movement and the chain will spit that master clip. I've lost two, then measured my chain properly and found it was off by 2mm. Make sure the master clip is pointed in the right direction, the round part goes towards the front of the bike in the direction of chain travel. The open end you clip to the pins faces backward.

Get an O-Ring chain, it will last the longest if you clean and lube it every 500 miles.