Sign in to follow this  

Grease - kickstart bearing

hello thumpertalk community!

Ive been silently reading through hundreds of threads on this forum and i must say it helped me quite a bit with one or the other problem i encountered with my recently purchased 84 XL600R. used to ride a XR650R back home in europe and after a couple of years of living in brooklyn ny i just had to get a 2 wheeler again :-)

well, that was my little introduction i guess, long story short - here are my questions:

what do you guys use/recommend as far as grease for bearings (kickstarter bearing) ?

and also:

I am planing on replacing the right crank case cover, is there anything i need to pay attention to or look out for when disassembling and putting back together as far as springs that will jump at me or flimsy parts that need to be held in place while putting the cover back on? just want to be prepared when i open her up for the first time...

all the best,

Constantin

When you remove the cover be careful that you don't loose the small tube that goes between the oil pump and the case.  It is a very critical piece.  Are you referring to the bearing inside the case?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by kmequint

okay i will look out for that tube, thank you!

yes, the kickstart bearing inside the case.

by the way, the oil filter screen should be easily accessible once i took the cover off correct?

thank you for the swift reply by the way

best,

Constantin

I've never greased any bearings in there but I suppose the plastic thingamejig inside the kicker spindle/ratchet setup could handle some grease..Pretty much has oil sloshing around a bit down there anyway hence why I don't grease things. I also don't like the idea of a grease blob maybe getting into the oil and somehow blocking an oil hole..Yes there should be an oil screen that slides in and out visible when you take the side cover off..

Can I ask why you want to replace the cover,,is it broken or something. Just be aware if you start pulling the kickstart spindle from the engine that it can be a little tricky to get back in..Someone will help you out if you run into problems..

Don't forget to check the oil screen that's in the front frame downtube and if doing the normal filter and oil change to crack one of the right side engine oil line to head banjo bolts to check for flow after the oil and filter job..No check and no pumping ===SEIZURE..

Edited by Horri

hey horri,

thanks for the tip with the oil line flow check, ill do that when i fill her back up.

im replacing the cover because it has a crack and is loosing oil...

ok no grease so i guess ill just dip the bearing in some 10 w 40 and thats it :)

best,

Constantin

If you click on the second picture above.  To the left of the oil pump towards the bottom you will see a shiny bolt.  That is the bolt you'll have to remove to get to the screen.

Like Horri said check for oil flow to the head.  After an oil change I always put a quart in the frame and the rest in the engine.

ok thx!

since im opening the thing up i might as well renew the clutch plates and springs what do you think?

also as for gasket i was going to use permatex motoseal # 29132 (that is what the permatex staff recommended) what are your thoughts on that?

edit:

@kmequint

how do you add a quart to just the engine?

best,

Constantin

Edited by zivi123

ok thx!

since im opening the thing up i might as well renew the clutch plates and springs what do you think?

also as for gasket i was going to use permatex motoseal # 29132 (that is what the permatex staff recommended) what are your thoughts on that?

edit:

@kmequint

how do you add a quart to just the engine?

best,

Constantin

Add the oil through one of the valve tappet covers.  As far as the gasket goes always use an OEM gasket. If you install items without a gasket you can screw up tolerances.

hey!

just a side question:

would you recommend applying permatex threadlocker blue (medium strength) to the screws of the case and the 2 nuts or is that a bad idea?

also what do you guys use for the 4 nuts that hold the exhaust to the cylinder? ( i had a hard time getting the old ones off so i thought there might be a trick to make disassembly easier next time. )

best,

Constantin

I have never used thread locker on the cove bolts.  Just make sure you oil the threads before assembly.  You might try ant-seize on the exhaust studs. However, do to the heat generated on the studs it will probably burn anything you put on them off.

ME

Edited by kmequint

hey kmequint!

thank you for your swift reply!

ill go with oil then ;)

best,

Constantin