Sign in to follow this  

Why are options so limited?

I want a great, reliable, no fuss, easy to ride off road motorcycle. Bonus points for being dualsportable.

I bought an '04 XR400R and I love it and plan on having it for a long time. But the idea of having the exact same thing, with newer tech and e-start and EFI etc... I'd totally go out and buy a bike likethat.

Why is it that all the dualsportable dirtbikes are detuned race-breds that have higher service intervals than my lowly XR?

If Honda dropped an updated air cooled XR 400 I'd be ALL OVER THAT!

• Like 2

Ktm 500exc? I think thats what its called.

You can have exactly what you want except the dualsport part by buying any smoker from KTM, Husaberg, Gas Gas, Beta, or Husky.  Any of those bikes, especially the larger displacement models, can be trail ridden for years without doing any "motor" maintenance other than keeping the air filter clean and occasionally changing the gear oil.  Suspension, brakes, handling, and "ready to ride" weight will be light years ahead of your XR.   At some point you will need to do a top-end (probably every 2-3 years), which might take you a full evening to do, or even two, if you work really slow.  The you go and ride for another 2-3 years.

What I would really like to see is a large displacement air-cooled smoker in a modern chassis.  Kick start with compression release.  Now that would be simple, light weight, easy to work on, and provide plenty of performance for the trail rider.

There are several but the cost frighten many. Beta 400RS (carbed), 500exc, DRZ400 (carbed), TE511, WR250r all which use as a DS require slightly more maintenance than the old XR400 and will last a long time. Pick your flavor and pay the piper!

I'm also frustrated by the lack of modern 450 DS models to choose from. Do I want a Beta or a KTM? Yes but I don't want to drop ten grand. Why are there no modern Japanese 450 dual sports? I think they are missing the boat here. In some states you can buy a 450 and put lights and DOT tires on it, etc, and get a road title but not in my state. So the more I look at things the DRZ is the only budget bike that could fit the 90/10 dirty bike role I need and not break the bank. The 650's are out for me as they are ancient and made of lead. Can we get a modern Jap 450 DS under 300lbs please?!?! PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

I'm also frustrated by the lack of modern 450 DS models to choose from. Do I want a Beta or a KTM? Yes but I don't want to drop ten grand. Why are there no modern Japanese 450 dual sports? I think they are missing the boat here. In some states you can buy a 450 and put lights and DOT tires on it, etc, and get a road title but not in my state. So the more I look at things the DRZ is the only budget bike that could fit the 90/10 dirty bike role I need and not break the bank. The 650's are out for me as they are ancient and made of lead. Can we get a modern Jap 450 DS under 300lbs please?!?! PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

no

Can your state let in out of state plated off road bikes?? Check into this because your not far away and we can work something out.

• Like 1

You must be a Honda exec.

Sadly KTM has this segment wrapped up tight and it would take big $$ for the other 4 brands to enter. With the economy the way it is none of them want to invest when MX/trail bikes are more profitable without any extra effort. I know several people who plated the CRF250x/450x without any reliability issues. For Honda, this is too much warranty risk and again the CRF250l was a finished bike just brought over with little effort/expense and warranty risk.

Ktm, husky and Beta have been selling them for a while now. Buy used instead of new. 10k is overpriced for a real world price. If you paid that much new, you got ripped off by the dealer. Just like a car, you never pay sticker price.

With Beta's, not many dealers have them in stock so you do pay that much on average. Smart dealers will discount the bikes but not all. KTM and Husky all have/had sales and some crazy low prices. 2013 350EXC were going for $7500 otd and TE310 were $6000 for new. WR250r and KLX250s are $5000 bikes so the extra you do pay get's you a lot for little. Shop wisely ride better! 

Beta's are listed as MC not off road at least in my state so plating them is no different than a street bike. Buy a demo/lightly used and save, there are several on this site

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/1657

Edited by weantright

Can your state let in out of state plated off road bikes?? Check into this because your not far away and we can work something out.

I'm waiting to find that out. TT member DIRTWURX has taken up the cause in this thread and is keeping ppl updated on facebook. If this is doable it opens up some nice options.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1040967-dual-sport-conversion-illinois/

I guess price depends a lot on where you are, from the guys I've talked to in California it's retail plus setup, delivery and taxes etc. In the East you can do better,  but retail is what the manufacturer expects you to sell them for, trust me you can tell by the margin.

As far as ripping someone off, nobody is forcing people to buy, they can walk away at any time. 

A 13 EXC for 7500?? Wow, those bikes had no rebates so the dealer is losing quite a bit on that one. The TE Huskys have had a rebate so the good prices are understandable. Even the 14s are great deals. 

California has no real winter, east has winter or shitty riding after a certain time and thus better prices. It cost $500 to ship a bike so keep this in mind when shopping. Dealers loosing out??? not as much as you would think. KTM and other brands give discounts to dealers for floor plan bikes so they don't have to ship them back/over to other dealers. Brands like Beta that don't floor plan bikes, every bike you see is paid for by the dealer or buyer thus no or not many left overs for discounted prices. Down fall on this type of business, less bikes sold which in return less parts sold and that's where the profit is!

Well I do work at a dealer so I know exactly how they operate. They all get the same rebates on the same bikes. I have a list of included models. No idea how the Japanese brands work, I'm familiar with the European brands though. Those bikes don't get shipped back, your only hope is to sell it at a loss or transfer it to another dealer. 

If Honda came out with a detuned crf 450, that was not quite as good as a race 450 or a $10000 ktm EXC 500, and was not quite as reliable as a xr 400, and only a little more reliable than a race bike, they would lose there ass, even if it was a good bike.

Perception is the name of the game, and its hard to market a compromise, when it comes to toys people don't buy what is right for them, they buy what is cool and what is the latest and greatest. A xr 400 with e start would be perfect, but would be perceived as old fashioned and out dated, who would by that new.

100% correct. Even if Honda built that XR400 with updated suspension and frame, the motor is the weak link for sales. Sadly there are few people wanting a new version of the XR400 and many would be disappointed in performance after the EPA get's their hands on it. The closes to a modern XR400 is a Beta 350/400. Old technology that's proven with a bit of new thrown in to catch the buyer's eye.

Edited by weantright

You must be a Honda exec.

I think all the Japanese OEMs make things besides dirt bikes unlike KTM Beta TM GasGas Sherco etc. Those brands innovate to draw customers away from big 4. It's working. :) Hell, even Husqvarna innovates but somebody out there runs their other arm and provides lawn and tree equipment - lest we forget their sewing machines too. 

Edited by shrubitup