S.O.S. (Suzuki Outta Service) I think I lunched my gear box!

I need the help of all the DRZ Guru's!

Background: 2008 DRZ400SM, 20,000 miles. I would say it has had a pampered life other than hauling my 240lb butt around. No wheelies, no clutchless shifts, No rev limiter bumps. Yes, I still managed to have fun on it!

Anyway I was riding home from work today, approximately 50 MPH when the bike did a sudden hesitation. It was accompanied by the sound of a metallic crunch. I thought I had run over something. The transmission didn't lock up and it continued on. But it had a new sound to the engine. Something rubbing. I down shifted it to 4th and that was when the neutral light came on. I was close to home so I just putted along on the edge of the road. 

As I was pulling up to my driveway I instinctively click down a gear and let out the clutch. That's when the rear wheel locked up and I stopped. 

I no longer have a neutral. You can still shift through the gears. And the clutch still appears to be working since I have to use it to push the bike around. 

I'm still in denial. A Japanese bike with a transmission problem? Impossible! It's not even broken in yet!

Do you have to split the cases to work on a bent shift fork (possible problem).

Dana.

Please help me get back on the road.
profile_zpsb6868b2d.jpg

Very nice and clean looking Z.    

Is this bike new to you but used?

If you have owned it since new.. ever found the countershaft sprocket nut loose?

Transmission problems are not all that common for this bike, but they happen.

Shifter issues as well..(springs) fail occasionally

The countershaft sprocket loosing clamp load as parts wear is common...and has a know reliability fix.

In general.. Yes any transmission repair will require complete disassembly of the engine.

Shifter shaft springs and selector drum springs can be replaced with just side cover removal. 

Wow, that's what my bike used to look like? Lookin good  :thumbsup:

i doubt it's the gear box. did you do the loctite fixes ? 

i doubt it's the gear box. did you do the loctite fixes ? 

What are you seeing in his posts that leads you to another conclusion? And what is your thought as to whats wrong?

I have had the bike since new. I just don't know where I went wrong? Synthetic oil, premium fuel, what more does it want!?

I haven't had a chance to tear into the engine yet. I'll try the clutch cover first.

I did remove the counter shaft sprocket cover and the CS nut is as tight as the day they installed it back in 2008. 

No oil leaking from the bike so that's a plus.

One thing I did notice on my last oil change.... the gear shift lever had contacted the engine case. Just a light scuff, didn't thing much of it. I wonder if something is going on with the shift shaft?

Thanks for the input.

What are you seeing in his posts that leads you to another conclusion? And what is your thought as to whats wrong?

+1  ..if the engine spins over ok . I don't see anything else

Edited by Craigo 485sm

If he no longer has Neutral ....

Yah .. Gearbox

I did remove the counter shaft sprocket cover and the CS nut is as tight as the day they installed it back in 2008

So a 2008 SM with 20,000 miles has never had the front sprocket replaced? 

The countershaft nut has never been removed since installed at the factory in 2008?

Drain the oil look for metal.

Remove both left and right side covers and look for metal.

On the right side, check that the shift shaft springs are present and working.

On the selector drum, do the same.

If it's not clear by then, I think you'll be splitting the cases to diagnose. 

Well you let the clutch out and it gave up? Sure you didnt stall it ;) post a video up and people can help alot more

mine 'lost neutral' after smashing the shift lever against a rock last summer. it wouldn't shift out of 2nd (or whatever gear i was in) on the trail, and had to feather the clutch in sections to get back to the truck. afterwords, it wouldn't shift up/down and the shift shaft was unusually stiff when pushing in/out on it. 

it made noises, like a transmission bearing was failing, similar to what the OP stated. 

took the bike home, dreaded the repairs, and laid it down on the left side to inspect the clutch and other bits on the clutch side. as i was doing so, POP, it found neutral. then i picked it up and tried 1st, 2nd, yes, all working. since then i've put around 8,000 miles on it. no issues with shifting. 

if i was intimately familiar with HOW the drz transmission works and why, i would help more. so far, i cannot. didn't mean to imply anyone else was wrong.  :thumbsup:

Okay, I finally got a chance to look at the engin. After draining the crank case and finding no metal bits (I even filtered the oil, I hope my wife didn't need those panty hose) I pulled the right cover off. First appearances looked promising. 

IMG_1202_zps01a5b823.jpg

Then I decided to go fishing with this little extendable magnet (looks like an antenna) and probed the dark abyss just in front of the shift linkage. Here is what I found.

IMG_1215_zpsf8aec6e8.jpg

A broken shift fork and was looks like some gear bits. I guess I'm going in now!

It might be a good time to consider a six speed:-)

Ron W.

yup, wrong again. 

(me, not you)

go for the wide range stuff when you re do it. 

or, go the easy route and buy a 'backup' engine, you know, something to tell the wife. ;-)

Hummmm bits of shift fork.. thats not good.

Wont know how bad till it's torn down... but expect some decent carnage 

There is a full trans available on ebay secondhand, look it up, you may have to buy shift forks, ACT w/r gears would be prudent

There is a full trans available on ebay secondhand, look it up, you may have to buy shift forks, ACT w/r gears would be prudent

Premature.

He does not even know if the case is salvageable.

Buying parts before a full inspection is foolish at best. 

True but bits are out there if the cases are ok but the box is toast, tear the thing down and check it out, cheers