XR 600 restoration project

Hey guys somewhat new on here. So I picked up a 97 XR 600 from a guy at work who is clueless about mechanics. Got it for $450 not running. Well I know a decent amount about working on bikes and my good friend knows alot about them. Got it home and immediately solvent cleaned it and pressure washed it. My buddy adjusted the valves. Drained the old green fuel out and then it ran decent.

Tore it all down to just a frame and my buddy painted it and also the engine. Cleaned up alot of other parts, painted a few things, got new bars, tires, levers, rear wheel bearings, and a few other things. Now just waiting for some money to come in to get the Aloop MX kit and a CRF style front fender. Should end up looking pretty good once done.

Ill try to attach a few pics of are work so far. Anyways the reason I posted on here was I'm curious how to drain the oil and also I've been reading that alot of people are running 15-40 diesel oil in 4 stroke bikes. Good or bad idea? Thanks guysImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378958950.301505.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378958963.896882.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378958993.483160.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378959034.755487.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378959057.245044.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378959142.512815.jpg

Here's current pics. Polished up the pipe turned out real good. Just ordered, levers, shift lever, acerbis hand gaurds, maxxis IT desert cross tires, fork boots, all from Rocky Mountain, then I just need plastics, and headlight and a few little things and it will be good to go

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378959670.865541.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378959682.610701.jpg

Ignore the giant crappy tank. It's getting junked

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378959480.313175.jpg

Well so far so good! You can run that oil me all my bikes get Amsoil 10-40 I would clean both screens one is in downtube and one behind right engine cover yes you have to take cover off. Get a CRF250X Acerbis makes one so you get trick LED tailight molded in wire holders. ALoop kit is nice but is only 2gal I need 3gal so went the hard way.

CAM00116.jpg

fender3.jpeg

Ok cool thanks, I live in CA and its not a dual sport so unfortunately I don't need the rear light. That looks good though! Ya I'm not to sure about the 2 gal tank but I want to try it, that whole kit just looks so clean. Might be able to get a little bit bigger tank in there or do some kind of auxiliary tank. Worst comes to worst just pack a extra gallon on the back.

Sweet lookin bike by the way!

what kind of paint did you use for the engine? it looks awesome. price to paint it?

Automotive black, 1 part, base coat

Thanks! My buddy painted it, so free lol

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380844043.619353.jpg

Got the power bomb on yesterday. $230 shipped threw amazon

Looks great. It makes me happy seeing people fixing up old stuff.

If you are planning on keeping the stock tank on there, try soft scrub bath and kitchen cleaner, its kind of like a gritty paste and you rub it on with a rag, its pretty amazing how much it cleans up yellow scratched plastic. It must have bleach in it. 

Keep at it!

Thanks man! No I'm getting the aloop MX plastic/tank/seat combo. Also putting a crf450 front fender on it. If your not familiar with the aloop here's the pic from there website.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380846639.625883.jpg

Should look really good when it's done. My buddy's friend just bought a $15k graphics machine so we should be able to make it look real nice!

Thanks man! No I'm getting the aloop MX plastic/tank/seat combo. Also putting a crf450 front fender on it. If your not familiar with the aloop here's the pic from there website.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380846639.625883.jpg

Should look really good when it's done. My buddy's friend just bought a $15k graphics machine so we should be able to make it look real nice!

If you taking off lights and dont want taillight then get CRF250R rear fender easy to fit just let me know ill tell you

BTW dont waste your time making any decals on tank they will not stay on

BTW dont waste your time making any decals on tank they will not stay on

on the aloop kit...? but they wont actually be mounted on the tank? i don't see why not?

on the aloop kit...? but they wont actually be mounted on the tank? i don't see why not?

Sorry for stock tank if he keeps it

If you taking off lights and dont want taillight then get CRF250R rear fender easy to fit just let me know ill tell you

I'm planning on running a headlight but no tail light. That's cool how do you get it to fit?

Sorry keep forgeting there is small things from 650L and 600R the L has bolts for the rear fender support thats what lined up perfect for the CRF fender and I cut off the part I did not need. And your muffler bolts to what I cut off. If you moved it back fender will be way too long. Maier has this one for yours.

CAM00195.jpg

CAM00198.jpg

%2F12305.jpg

Ok thanks, aloop sells a MX style rear fender I may just get that

Cool stuff! 

Helping another new to offroad friend with a 2000 XR600R he bought that needed a touch of TLC as well. Bike had a few goodies, but nearly identical to you after a basic service and check we ordered him: OEM levers, IMS shift lever, Acerbis Rally handguards, Fork Boots/Seals, Clutch Cable, Chain and a new set of F+R wheel bearings.

Next on the priority list in nearly the same as yours too. The Acerbis rear tailight has been broken, and the Maier he bought locally to replace it didn't fit. Looking now to replace the entire back fender, I was digging the CRF fender (if possible) but I am thinking we will do the Maier MX fender. He just realized how dim the old headlight is too, so may either do a stopgap and throw in a hotter bulb, or try and get a budget Polisport or Acerbis H4.

Now about time to do another oil change (he has put about 30 hours newb hill riding) on Castrol 10w40 semisynthetic, gonna replace with the same. The crazy thing is that quite a few dudes are changing their XR6-4 oils at the 50-60 hour mark!!! I dunno, thats scary sounding to me.

Anyway, good luck. Found it pretty cool how similar we are going about doing things. Will keep following this thread!

Nice man! That's cool, I'm using rotella T5 10-30 diesel oil. Semi syn. I guess that's what alot of people are using now

Update- got my acerbis headlight and 06 crf450 front fender on. Just need to trim the rear part of the fender because it hits the header. Got alot of black on it right now. Should have the aloop kit by Monday and then my buddies gonna make some graphics for it.

Here's a up to date pic of the xr and my buddies friends 2000 yz125 with the first set of graphics he's designed. Can't wait to get the aloop kit and graphics on it!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382126754.455464.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382126769.793538.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382126784.916034.jpg