Should I trade my 04kx250 for a 06kx250f

So I've been wanting a 4stroke but I'm not to Familiar with the 2006 kx250f what do you all think.

It is an outstanding bike that is not dated in any way. Just dial in your suspension and jetting and check valve clearances on rain days every month or so. If they start to tighten more frequently, replace them. To improve handling, get a lowering link for around $100. Keep the bearings greased. Before you start running it, you should consider checking the crank just to get a baseline and maybe throw in a new Wiseco piston and rings if the PO hasn't done so in a while. You might be able to sell that 250 for more than you could buy a 250F BTW. Lots if 250Fs out there, not as many smokers. And your 250 probably has a lot of power-or could. I would be looking to trade the other way, personally. To each his own, though!

What do you ride any why do you want a thumper?

What do you ride any why do you want a thumper?

I have a 04 kx 250 I just want a 4st I like the torqueImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379002508.794285.jpg

It is an outstanding bike that is not dated in any way. Just dial in your suspension and jetting and check valve clearances on rain days every month or so. If they start to tighten more frequently, replace them. To improve handling, get a lowering link for around $100. Keep the bearings greased. Before you start running it, you should consider checking the crank just to get a baseline and maybe throw in a new Wiseco piston and rings if the PO hasn't done so in a while. You might be able to sell that 250 for more than you could buy a 250F BTW. Lots if 250Fs out there, not as many smokers. And your 250 probably has a lot of power-or could. I would be looking to trade the other way, personally. To each his own, though!

I thinking of trading this guy is interested in mine ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379002671.723150.jpg

I have a 04 kx 250 I just want a 4st I like the torque{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379002508.794285.jpg

thats a bice bike though. You may be disappointed with the top end on the 250f. 250 2t is compared to 450f. 125 2t is compared to a 250f. Your call though.

I have a 04 kx 250 I just want a 4st I like the torqueattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379002508.794285.jpg

What I meant was trails or MX. You currently have arguably the best 2 stoke Kawi available. I can guarantee you will be disappointed with the overall power of the 250f compared to your 04 KX.

Generally speaking the benefit of the thumpers are there smooth linear power. It just makes them naturally easier to ride. Comparatively speaking your 04 probably has more torque than the 250f.

Just looked at the bike your considering and I think your shorting yourself on the deal. Just my thought.

Edited by Joshx221

What I meant was trails or MX. You currently have arguably the best 2 stoke Kawi available. I can guarantee you will be disappointed with the overall power of the 250f compared to your 04 KX.

Generally speaking the benefit of the thumpers are there smooth linear power. It just makes them naturally easier to ride. Comparatively speaking your 04 probably has more torque than the 250f.

Just looked at the bike your considering and I think your shorting yourself on the deal. Just my thought.

I ride desert trails mostly and some sand dunes and mid size jumps

I ride desert trails mostly and some sand dunes and mid size jumps

I would look for a 450. That is if your comfortable with the power of you smoker.

I would look for a 450. That is if your comfortable with the power of you smoker.

Ya I've rode my friends 450 and the power is great gets me everywhere i need to go effortless than ill get on my 250 and feel like I really need to rip the throttle to go any where

Ya I've rode my friends 450 and the power is great gets me everywhere i need to go effortless than ill get on my 250 and feel like I really need to rip the throttle to go any where

The 250F will be anemic then. I had your bike before. Loaded with torque for a 250 smoker. Way more than a 250F. You should shop for a 450. Also causing your 250 smoker to feel slow is the 04 motor. It's all low end and lower mid range. You could try some tuning/porting if you like all else about your bike. 

I agree with the others. If you are ripping a two stroke 250, you should get a 450.

I agree with the others. If you are ripping a two stroke 250, you should get a 450.

Ya I was leaning toward a 450 I think I'm to heavy for a 250 2st

NO. This 250F will disappoint you compared to the power of your KX250. Not a good desert bike for sand at all. I've had both and the 2 stroke is better suited for what you ride that is why this guy wants to trade you.

Ya I was leaning toward a 450 I think I'm to heavy for a 250 2st

you also have to think about how much a four stroke cists to maintain. You have to do valve adjustments often and if your bike throws a rod out, you basically have to throw it in the garbage because they are really costly to rebuild. You could rebuild the top and bottom end of a two stroke fpr the price of just the piston on a four stroke. How much do you weigh btw? Ive never heard someone say that theyre too big for their 250 2t. The four stroke has consistant power throught the rpms and you won't feel that kick at high rpms that you get from a 2 stroke. You'll be dissapointed with a 250f so if your aiming for a thumper, get a 450f. Just think about the maintenance costs before you buy a thumper.

Just think about the maintenance costs before you buy a thumper.

Or consider a Yamaha instead. :busted:

you also have to think about how much a four stroke cists to maintain. You have to do valve adjustments often and if your bike throws a rod out, you basically have to throw it in the garbage because they are really costly to rebuild. You could rebuild the top and bottom end of a two stroke fpr the price of just the piston on a four stroke. How much do you weigh btw? Ive never heard someone say that theyre too big for their 250 2t. The four stroke has consistant power throught the rpms and you won't feel that kick at high rpms that you get from a 2 stroke. You'll be dissapointed with a 250f so if your aiming for a thumper, get a 450f. Just think about the maintenance costs before you buy a thumper.

Ya I know they cost a lot to maintain. I weigh 215lb at 6'2"

I don't think you're too heavy for your 250. I think you have one of the best 250s of all time