Mikuni TM 34 touches e-start motor

I just fitted a Mikuni TM 34, I bought it from ebay and believe it is from XRsONLY because it has a reducer spigot on the air box side. Now since I have a Japanese XR 250 L 1997/98 with e-start it won't fit correctly so I had to turn it about 15 %, now it fits perfectly and runs super, but the float bowl touches the e-start motor a little bit. I was just wondering if it was o.k to ride like this?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you're going to run it like that I think I'd put something between them, like some kind of rubber sheet material or something to insulate wear between the two from vibration and such.

If you're going to run it like that I think I'd put something between them, like some kind of rubber sheet material or something to insulate wear between the two from vibration and such.

O.k. thanks fair enough, I will try that out, I was just worried that the vibration might disturb performance of the the carb.

if it's just the mix screw tunnel hitting you could shave it back. Done that to 4 cyl bike just to gain more access to the screws.

if it's just the mix screw tunnel hitting you could shave it back. Done that to 4 cyl bike just to gain more access to the screws.

To give you some understanding I have posted some pictures, I don't think it should create any issues, but maybe I am wrong. My technical know-how is very limited and I hope someone can tell me for sure it's o.k to ride like that. I might put a rubber mat underneath.  20130913_171842_zpsd004b042.jpg20130913_171832_zps90543cd3.jpg

Forget the shaving it back idea, not where I thought it was hitting. I wouldn't want it solid (or stiff rubber) against the starter as vibration may froth the fuel in the bowl. Guess if it runs ok go with it..?

Forget the shaving it back idea, not where I thought it was hitting. I wouldn't want it solid (or stiff rubber) against the starter as vibration may froth the fuel in the bowl. Guess if it runs ok go with it..?

Well, I really hope so, will check after a while

I just fitted a Mikuni TM 34, I bought it from ebay and believe it is from XRsONLY because it has a reducer spigot on the air box side. Now since I have a Japanese XR 250 L 1997/98 with e-start it won't fit correctly so I had to turn it about 15 %, now it fits perfectly and runs super, but the float bowl touches the e-start motor a little bit. I was just wondering if it was o.k to ride like this?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

can you feel a significant power boost with the new carb?

Over time, I would be concerned about the float bowl getting a hole worn thru it.

Also with the carb not being level because of the way you had to cock it to one side, I wonder how bad that's going to effect how it runs.

I think the answer would be to get some kind of a sleeve that you can slide into the carb boot to move the carb back a little on the bike.  And somehow you will have to shorten the one on the back of the carb.  Looks like just 1/4-3/8 of an inch or so and you would be clear of the starter.

can you feel a significant power boost with the new carb?

I was really happy with this carb, it improved the overall performance, I felt significant improvement on steep uphill section.  The downside is the fuel economy I only get like

10km's out of a liter of gas, I don't know what this translates to in miles, but it uses double from the stock carb, which I think is too much.

With the stocker I could run for about 150-160 km's until I would hit reserve. I don't know maybe there's something wrong with the carb. Funny thing is I tried out a FCR 33 from Keihin a while ago and had similar results, the FCR 33 is for sure more powerful then the mikuni, but fuel consumption is the same and the mikuni seems to be easier to tune from the outside without removing the carb body every time.

As much as I like the power band of this carb I had to take it off, because of the poor fuel economy. I will keep the carb for sure, until I find someone who can help with this.

I ride a lot of single trek here in Thailand and running out of gas is not fun at all.

10 KPL = 23.5 MPG - That is beyond pitiful. Conversion calculator below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=10+kpm+%3D+mpg&oq=10+kpm+%3D+mpg&aqs=chrome..69i57.8578j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&qscrl=1#q=10+kpl+%3D+mpg&qscrl=1

I was really happy with this carb, it improved the overall performance, I felt significant improvement on steep uphill section.  The downside is the fuel economy I only get like

10km's out of a liter of gas, I don't know what this translates to in miles, but it uses double from the stock carb, which I think is too much.

With the stocker I could run for about 150-160 km's until I would hit reserve. I don't know maybe there's something wrong with the carb. Funny thing is I tried out a FCR 33 from Keihin a while ago and had similar results, the FCR 33 is for sure more powerful then the mikuni, but fuel consumption is the same and the mikuni seems to be easier to tune from the outside without removing the carb body every time.

As much as I like the power band of this carb I had to take it off, because of the poor fuel economy. I will keep the carb for sure, until I find someone who can help with this.

I ride a lot of single trek here in Thailand and running out of gas is not fun at all.