Laws in California for riding on your own property

With California being so limited on where you can ride any one know the what the laws are for riding on your own land in California? In the market for new home and am looking for a nice chunk of land I can ride on and build a track but need to know what the limitations there are if any.

I think Riverside has some weird shit about no riding on your property. Out here in the OC not an issue at all. I built a small track  on my grandparents field around 10 years ago in Costa Mesa. Only got one cop come by because the neighbor was complaining about the dust. Mine was just a small oval a little smaller than the OC speedway track. Behind a chain link fence.

Main thing I was told by the CMPD is no riding before 0700 or after 2200 due the the noise ordinance. The biggest problem is being able to find enough land to make a track. Property almost anywhere in OC is very expensive.

Edited by ballisticexchris

i think it has something to do with acreage (maybe minimum 5 acres???) kinda like shooting my guns in the yard... love the dez!

Yea, Size Matters! Even Ryan Deegan was forced to relocate due to not having the correct amount of acherage. I'm in the Riverside county area and yes, you get caught riding on your own property and you will get fined. Riverside County is the largest offroad community in Cali and the bigest PITA when it comes to offroading...

I thought you were moving outta of CA Bill??

Edit - damn it, that last letter always gets me. Sorry, wrong Bill. DOH!

Edited by kenshaw720

common up here,

I see them around

Yea, Size Matters! Even Ryan Deegan was forced to relocate due to not having the correct amount of acherage. I'm in the Riverside county area and yes, you get caught riding on your own property and you will get fined. Riverside County is the largest offroad community in Cali and the bigest PITA when it comes to offroading...

Brian*

Go to this link 

http://www.friendsofgiantrock.com/

They have lots of info. Or check out these folks. Desertwalker and myself are right in the middle of these idiots. We fought with them over the SB County 3973 OHV Ordinance. http://www.orvwatch.com/

I know mountain bike guys in SoCal that buy property in the dez at auction that was condemned as a hadzerous waste site due to a busted meth lab. The property is no use as a home site with that status. 5 acres for a few thousand $$. 10 guys --- $500 each... build all the jumps you want.

I ride trials on my 3/4 acre. I would hate to think what I would do if the cops tried to tell me to stop. No way.. It's my property.

Brian*

yea, him too...

I thought you were moving outta of CA Bill??

I am.  I'm too smart to to even try to outsmart the idiots running this state.  I'm moving to God's country where you can hit hundreds of miles of killer trails right out your front door, have Costco, Trader Joe's and Starbucks and 5 beautiful Lakes just down the road, where property taxes are 1/4 what CA gouges you for, and where you can still buy a killer $1.2Mil+ So Cal home for under $400k.  Oh yeah, and the temps in the summer are 5-15 degrees cooler than anywhere in So Cal except maybe BB, and the snowfall is barely anything in the winter - just enough to be fun.  It's right around the corner for us and if you can drag LT out of his new love den, you can both come over and we'll ride.  

PS - one of the long time CA Forum guys who shall remain nameless unless he outs himself just bought a house over there last month.  My mechanic / hardcore race buddy now lives over there and loves it.  And there's more on the move as I speak.  We're moving this forum along with all the good musicians OUT of CA..... heh heh   :thumbsup:

bike noises at my prop,   one neighbor has a rifle and pistol range, other neighbor raises Arabian horses ,ever hear them breed?,  across road state land used by paintball clubs, they hoot and holler.  At night the coyotes make awful noises.  Somehow we all coexist with complaining :thumbsup:

i think it has something to do with acreage (maybe minimum 5 acres???) kinda like shooting my guns in the yard... love the dez!

Riverside Co has crazy nutz rules.  In San Bernardino Co you have to own 40 acres to LEGALLY ride on your own land.

You can get away with less depending on where you live and who your neighbors are.  In my opinion you need about 20 acres and NO close neighbors to get it done at a minimum unless you don't mind the yard around your house being your track.

We started with 20. My fenced yard is about 2 acres for house, garage, shed, driveway, dogs, trees, landscaping.  Outer fence line around yard is 6 acres, barn, guest house, out buildings, RV storage etc.  Buffer from road and property lines about 3-4 acres... Leaves about 10 acres on the back half of the property perfect for track. 

wonder about E bike's?    would the ordinances still apply?

I am.  I'm too smart to to even try to outsmart the idiots running this state.  I'm moving to God's country where you can hit hundreds of miles of killer trails right out your front door, have Costco, Trader Joe's and Starbucks and 5 beautiful Lakes just down the road, where property taxes are 1/4 what CA gouges you for, and where you can still buy a killer $1.2Mil+ So Cal home for under $400k.  Oh yeah, and the temps in the summer are 5-15 degrees cooler than anywhere in So Cal except maybe BB, and the snowfall is barely anything in the winter - just enough to be fun.  It's right around the corner for us and if you can drag LT out of his new love den, you can both come over and we'll ride.  

PS - one of the long time CA Forum guys who shall remain nameless unless he outs himself just bought a house over there last month.  My mechanic / hardcore race buddy now lives over there and loves it.  And there's more on the move as I speak.  We're moving this forum along with all the good musicians OUT of CA..... heh heh   :thumbsup:

Where did you move to? I am in Marin, possibly the worst place to live for a dirt biker, but I belong to a club that rents 600 acres for riding. We are looking at San Diego next week.

Dust is almost a bigger problem than noise. Noise is huge. Next is soil run off into streams. If salmon spawn in the stream, you better have gov Brown and the Pope on your side to pull off the miracle.

What you can do really depends on where you live.

Marin county built the "680 tail" for bikes, horses and hikers. Due to it being wide enough for two horses to pass and questions about runoff to an area with houses, the environmental impact reports ran into six figures. The under 3 mile trail cost $620,000 to build.

Up in the Sierra foothills, a group is building mtn bike trails as fast as the little trail building tractor can carve them out.

I know where a full blown supercross track was built in San Bernardino county on 50-100 acres and the county will not let it be used.

I know where a full blown supercross track was built in San Bernardino county on 50-100 acres and the county will not let it be used.

As personal property you can ride on your land over 40...  so there is more to the story.  Either aa building code violation...  or they were charging money to use it which is a zoning violation...  hell even without money if people were coming to use it all the time that could be a zoning issue.

Previous owner of my land was shut down from letting horse people come and camp for the weekend to ride local trails.  We are zoned for livestock and farming...  but not for a campground.  It only happened cause some freak they asked to leave who was boarding a horse here narced on them to the county.

New York and California are driving people away with restrictive laws and high taxes.

All anyone has to do is claim your running an OHV park. Get a single wide next to a riding area. A friend of mine had land close to GT. We would just ride from the house. I rode with someone in Tahoe that had his house back up to the rim trail. My uncle has had a place in salton sea since the 70s, ride out the garage. With street legal real dirt bikes its even easier to cross roads and get around the popo.