Cam Chain replace interval (missing from the manual) KX250F 2012

Hi guys,

Just put about 6 hours in my brand new 2012 KX2050F. Is my first NEW bike and I'm planing to maintain it by the book (well not by the manual and replacing the piston after 15 hours,  cause I don't race it that hard).

One thing that's missing from the book is replacing interval for the cam chain. Someone recommended changing it at 20 hours interval. Other manuals (yamaha) say to check and replace if needed.

What do you do ?

I just replaced mine after well over 100 hours on an '11. Chain was in perfect condition, with plenty of room left on the tensioner. I had expected more wear. Frankly, if I hadn't bought a new one already, I would have left it in. I don't have the manual in front of me to check the recommended interval, but I will check later if you don't get an answer. . . Which you will.

If you pull your tensioner, you'll see it is barely extended. You can use that to evaluate wear. One caution, though: ALWAYS reset that tensioner before putting it back in and remember, the last thing to go in is the spring and cap bolt. Just something lots of people seem to mess up, and it will wreck the chain if you do. Once the reset tensioner is inserted, kick it slow a couple times before firing the bike just to take up any slack. This drive system works well on the KXF and seems very durable.

I usually change the cam chain when I do piston, which will prob be at about 100hrs on the 250f , unless I need to do inlet valves valves before then, then I will check the poison and chain of it needs replacement.

I usually change the cam chain when I do piston, which will prob be at about 100hrs on the 250f , unless I need to do inlet valves valves before then, then I will check the poison and chain of it needs replacement.

You go 100 hrs between piston changes? Interesting. Never thought of doing that.

You go 100 hrs between piston changes? Interesting. Never thought of doing that.

Why ?

How often you changing ?

Why ?

How often you changing ?

I was asking out of curiosity.  I think it's a great question.  The manual says 15 hours, right?  I change mine every time I buy a used bike ('cause who knows?) then after about 30-40 hrs.  Even that may be overkill for a non Amateur/Expert racer. I remember having snowmobiles that never saw a piston change.  Just an interesting topic.  This may be one of those things in the manual that really doesn't make sense . . . or it makes a lot of sense, and I just don't know it.  I am sure there is metal fatigue and such, and one of my buddies at the track said PC pistons are the way to go, but I have never, ever had a hint of piston problems and I have Wiseco stickers all over the place. . . and the little velvet bags, too.  Very nice.