In over my head

After about a month of going back and forth to differnt shops and looking online I decided on a used kx450f, but got called out of town on buisness I get home yesterday to a brand new kx450f with a bow on it in my garage from my wife. Dont get me wrong Im so excited but here is where the issue is...

I used to race 250 2 strokes bout 5 years ago so i decided to go back to where she bought it and talk to the guy who sold it to her to get info about it( 4 strokes in general), and what he began to tell me scares the crap out of me. He began to tell me if I rode it like a 2 stroke i will ruin it making it sound like they are very weak motors and easy to mess up and expensive to fix. saying if reved wrong it can break, So now im scared to ride it and mess it up..

Im stuck cause its not like i can return it and Id feel bad sounding ungrateful cause my wife feels so happy for getting this for me and im very grateful but i would have rather started on a used one and if I try to sell Im sure ill have to take a hit :(

Any ideas or help would be great

thanks

Edited by suplol

4 strokes are expensive to fix, well more expensive than a 2 stroke.

Do the right maintenence and care and these days they can be pretty reliable.

4 strokes do take a different kind of riding style, but once you ride it a bit you will probably start enjoying it and getting used to things.

Everybody has their reasons, some will never ride a 2 stroke again, some cant stand the 4 stroke, etc.

I think its awesome your wife got you a bike. Im waiting for the day when i get divorce papers and under the reason it says " dirtbikes"

• Like 4

Thanks for the input! Feeling better. It did seem like since he got the money he really had no time to talk but it did come with a free monster grapic pack which that i dont know if I will use May give away here if some one wants.

also i see they have oil filters now should i go dealer and buy 4 or 5 of these or they have a stainless steel one the guy said was good any idea on that

sorry for sounding clueless just want to maintain it best i can

Edited by suplol

Strokers don't have weak motors by any stretch of the imagination.  Why else was James Stewart complaining about being in a KX 250 smoker back in I think 2004?  He said on the podium, "Just wait til I get that 450 for the next race.." making excuses for not winning against RC who was on the 450.  No this is not a JS bashing session, but those podium interviews didn't render him any fan favor.

The high performance strokers just have more maintenance items.. and follow the maintenance tasks to the T.  Change the oil, oil filters, clean air filter every ride (that's smokers too), and DON'T BOUNCE THE MOTOR OFF THE REV LIMITER.  It'll last you a good long time that way.

After about a month of going back and forth to differnt shops and looking online I decided on a used kx450f, but got called out of town on buisness I get home yesterday to a brand new kx450f with a bow on it in my garage from my wife. Dont get me wrong Im so excited but here is where the issue is...

I used to race 250 2 strokes bout 5 years ago so i decided to go back to where she bought it and talk to the guy who sold it to her to get info about it( 4 strokes in general), and what he began to tell me scares the crap out of me. He began to tell me if I rode it like a 2 stroke i will ruin it making it sound like they are very weak motors and easy to mess up and expensive to fix. saying if reved wrong it can break, So now im scared to ride it and mess it up..

Im stuck cause its not like i can return it and Id feel bad sounding ungrateful cause my wife feels so happy for getting this for me and im very grateful but i would have rather started on a used one and if I try to sell Im sure ill have to take a hit :(

Any ideas or help would be great

thanks

best advice anyone can give you sir. Smile, be freggin stoked, and be super good to ur wife. She just did something for you that a lot of us men wish would happen to us. You spoiled son of a ......lol have fun on it
  • Like 2

I just wanted to say I appreciate everyones comments and information i came to work feeling worried almost sick to my stomach and now the time cant past fast enough so I can get home and start riding!!! :ride:

thanks!

you come across as an individual who worries a ton. Dude always remember this. There isn't anything materialistic that money cannot fix. With that said. Your 450 is built to be ridin. It's built to race. It's built for fun..so no more worry.

I just wanted to say I appreciate everyones comments and information i came to work feeling worried almost sick to my stomach and now the time cant past fast enough so I can get home and start riding!!! :ride:

thanks!

yep enjoy the new bike dude . I promise you wont regret it after a little more seat time . 

He's right,kinda

If you ride it like a 2 stroke it will burn up clutches fast and not be rideable.

I rode my first one in 03 or so

And they are much easier to ride.

No concentrating on being on the pipe and shifting at peak with the clutch slipping...

Just roll it on and there's power from off idle to 7-8k

But they'll wind up and not sign off past that.

I loved 2 strokes but now I get on one and it feels like an 80.

Edited by D9ZZ