Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400E Forks

Hi all. Thinking of putting some bleeders on the forks to allow quick and easy bleeding. Have found some on eBay that suits Showa and Kyaba forks and was wondering..... Are these types of forks on my bike?

Cheers!!!

Hi all. Thinking of putting some bleeders on the forks to allow quick and easy bleeding. Have found some on eBay that suits Showa and Kyaba forks and was wondering..... Are these types of forks on my bike?

Cheers!!!

The DRZ uses Showa 49mm conventional cartridge forks on all years and models except 2000, 2001 DRZ400 S, and they used Showa 49mm conventional damper rod forks.

Check clearances available for the style of pressure release valve you want to install.

Great idea on a MX bike,,, ten laps on a sterile MX track, put it on the stand and push the button while you go for a water break.

For an off road bike... I would not want a tall fragile valve sticking out of my fork caps.. tree branches, hydration pack straps, roots, rocks, mud.. all will conspire to snap off that tall, thin wall, aluminum part that is threaded in to the cap on a even smaller, more fragile threaded section.

Me.. before the ride and after the ride maintenance, I loosen the screw plug, bleed the air, and Im done.  

From what I've been told, those quick bleeder usually do more harm than good.  The biggest problem is that they usually don't seal very well, so then they let air into the forks.  Another issue is they can break easier in a crash (then your left with oil shooting out the forks)... though that would have to be a very peculiar crash, but none the less.

Just bleed the forks with the current bleeders, throw the bike up on a stand, grab a flat-head screwdriver, loosen bleeder, wait a sec, tighten bleeder, lower bike and off you go.  I do this before any off-road excursion while I'm going over the bike checking things, otherwise I don’t mess around with them too much.

• Like 1

Probably right fellas, I was just sounding it out. I'm thankful for your advice! Ill just do it the old fashioned way!

Cheers!