Sign in to follow this  

Will Not Start (No Sound)

Hi,

I have an '08 DRZ400SM that is the best bike ever... :)   But now it is sometimes choosing not to start. 

A couple of months ago I rode my bike to work and stopped on the way.   The bike would not restart.  I had lights, Odometer, etc.  I would press the start button and nothing would happen.  No sound at all.  Starter not turning over..   After many attempts, I decided to roll start it.   Roll starting failed, but right after that, pressing the start button cranked her right up.  

It happened one other time, before, but I had played with the kill switch and after futzing with it a few minutes it started that time. 

It didn't happen again for a while.  

Then a few days ago I rode my bike home and put it in the garage.   The next morning... Nothing.  Again, I had lights, odometer, etc.   I even noticed that pressing the start button would dim the light, but there was no sound and no cranking.   That evening, I tried again, nothing.   The next morning, it fired right up.

Today was the first time I rode it since then (a day or so later) and it cut off on me twice coming in.  The first time, it fired right up.   The second time, it was the same.   Lights work, but no sound when I hit the start button.   I pushed it uphill 100 yards, then it cranked.

The prior owner modified it so that it will crank in gear (not in neutral).   I'm assuming he disconnected a sensor,   I'm not sure where that wire or sensor is. 

So,   I appear to have a reliability problem.   Is it the neutral sensor?   I doubt it, that wouldn't cause it to cut off in operation.   Is it the kill switch shorting out?  It must be an electrical problem right?

Many thanks in advance!

Robby 

Edited by STXMoto

Hi,

I have an '08 DRZ400SM that is the best bike ever... :)   But now it is sometimes choosing not to start. 

A couple of months ago I rode my bike to work and stopped on the way.   The bike would not restart.  I had lights, Odometer, etc.  I would press the start button and nothing would happen.  No sound at all.  Starter not turning over..   After many attempts, I decided to roll start it.   Roll starting failed, but right after that, pressing the start button cranked her right up.  

It happened one other time, before, but I had played with the kill switch and after futzing with it a few minutes it started that time. 

It didn't happen again for a while.  

Then a few days ago I rode my bike home and put it in the garage.   The next morning... Nothing.  Again, I had lights, odometer, etc.   I even noticed that pressing the start button would dim the light, but there was no sound and no cranking.   That evening, I tried again, nothing.   The next morning, it fired right up.

Today was the first time I rode it since then (a day or so later) and it cut off on me twice coming in.  The first time, it fired right up.   The second time, it was the same.   Lights work, but no sound when I hit the start button.   I pushed it uphill 100 yards, then it cranked.

The prior owner modified it so that it will crank in gear (not in neutral).   I'm assuming he disconnected a sensor,   I'm not sure where that wire or sensor is. 

So,   I appear to have a reliability problem.   Is it the neutral sensor?   I doubt it, that wouldn't cause it to cut off in operation.   Is it the kill switch shorting out?  It must be an electrical problem right?

Many thanks in advance!

Robby 

I recently had this problem and it turned out to be a loose connection on the starter relay, sometimes it made contact, sometimes it didn't. It's a quick check, just under the seat. Even if they look like they are plugged in, just remove and inspect.

If that doesn't yield results, I would disassemble and clean the starter button switch.

I agree with connections. Check the battery, relay, fuses, and grounds. Most likely a lose wire or fuse.

It definitely sounds like a electrical problem, i know that i have gone dirt biking with mine and it would cut off if i hit a jump or bump and the kick stand went down(one of the main reason why ppl remove it). It might be a short in the kickstand switch. that wire also ends up under the seat i believe  

Thanks guys... I will check out those terminations tonight.  FYI... I just rode it 20 miles at lunch.. purred like a kitten. :)

I didn't know there was a kickstand switch.  I seem to be able to crank mine in either position.  That switch must have been removed as well. 

Thanks!

Robby

Thanks guys... I will check out those terminations tonight.  FYI... I just rode it 20 miles at lunch.. purred like a kitten. :)

I didn't know there was a kickstand switch.  I seem to be able to crank mine in either position.  That switch must have been removed as well. 

Thanks!

Robby

Hey

The bike will start with kickstand down but it'll cut the engine if you put it in gear and try to go. Test it, try to drive off with kickstand down and see what happens.

Like the guys said, most likely loose or corroded electrical connection.

Had similar problem just a couple of days ago, bike went completely dead, no lights, speedo etc. Turned out to be a rectifier/regulator connector located by fuse box,

completely corroded.

Look at SM 05 and up diagram here, for ground and connections locations, it saved me time figuring out what is where on bike:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/732207-electrical-diagrams/

Good Luck

I'm also experiencing this problem. I tried to start it in m garage but no sound, just lights and speedo. Turned it off and came back out to try again and it worked. Gonna check connections tonight.

I recently was haveing the same issues, it ended up being the clutch safety. It's very easy to bypass and that cured my issues. Give me a moment and I will dig up the thread that helped me.....

Ok here it is. Click the link and watch the video posted by 707lake. Hope this helps! (First URL was wrong, new one is up)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1042325-intermittant-starting-issue/#entry11026555

Edited by JGDRZ400

I just took my light cover off and there's a bundle of wires and a couple of them are electrical taped... I'm not mechanically inclined but I have a feeling the previous owner tried messing around with it. I could not find the two yellow wires like in the video of the clutch bypass.

I just took my light cover off and there's a bundle of wires and a couple of them are electrical taped... I'm not mechanically inclined but I have a feeling the previous owner tried messing around with it. I could not find the two yellow wires like in the video of the clutch bypass.

Just trace the wires back from the switch on the clutch perch.

Unplug it, throw it.

It seems like the previous owner already did the clutch switch bypass. With that said, I think he may have messed something up. My bike will start 9/10 times but I hate the fact that there's a possibility the bike will not try to start. I remember one time, I tried to start the bike with the kickstand down (in neutral) and experienced what the OP was (lights dim, getting power but no start). I turned it off and went inside. Tried again maybe 5 minutes later but this time up right (kickstand still down and in neutral) and it fired right up! I'll try to take a picture or video of what the wiring looks like because it's difficult to explain but the yellow wire with green stripe is not simply 1 wire and I do not see a clear female wire anywhere. I took my seat off the make the sure the wires were ok and it seems well under there.