Something just doesn't add up...

I have a 2005 YZ 250 and I hated that top triple clamp with the bar mount integrated so I got a complete triple clamp from a buddy that came off of a 2007 yz 250 to swap it with.

Now, when I put it on it seems like the stem is somewhat shorter because it's sunk in a few millimiters into the last nut. I even ordered a nut off the 07 because I saw it had a different PN, but the only difference is that they went from 30mm to 32mm, height didn't change at all. 

I know the frame is the same and all the other components are the same... so why is it that it fits kinda funky like that?

Anyone has any idea?

Odd; it sounds like the lower triple clamp is from a YZ125. Did you compare length of the stock stem to the newer piece?

No I did not, I am sure it's shorter though. I don't think the guy I got it from ever owned a 125, he's a yamaha guy and has had many of them, possibly a 250f though? It was marked "YZ250" with a permanent marker but it was kind of fading so it's possible maybe it had an F there.

I think I'll have to just run it that way. The nut is like a freaking inch tall (ok I'm exagerating a little), I think it's grabbing enough threads to not be an issue other than looking kinda funky

i had the same issue once when i bought a set of rg3's (stem included) off a 250f for my 250 smoker.i just had to swap the stem over as the f one was too short. 

if it was me i'd swap the stem as it could be dangerous imo.

Edited by smezmx

Just an idea,if your not comfortable with your current set-up try the PROTAPER P3 top clamp,it give's plenty of play room and is a quality part at a reasonable price of about $50.00 TYD.I would post a link but my computer is acting retarded,type in YZ 250 Protaper clamp on ebay and check it out.Good luck.

No I did not, I am sure it's shorter though. I don't think the guy I got it from ever owned a 125,

...possibly a 250f though?

Yeah, sorry. I should have said that lower triple seems like it came from a 125 OR 250F, being that they both have the short stem.

The good news is that you can simply swap the stem from your '05 YZ250 into the '07 lower.

Trying to run the short stem on a 250 is a very not-good idea.

Good luck, and tell us how thing work out.  :thumbsup:

Just an idea,if your not comfortable with your current set-up try the PROTAPER P3 top clamp,it give's plenty of play room and is a quality part at a reasonable price of about $50.00 TYD.I would post a link but my computer is acting retarded,type in YZ 250 Protaper clamp on ebay and check it out.Good luck.

Done! Except these have 7/8" bar mounts...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Taper-P3-Triple-Clamp-YZ125-YZ250-YZ250F-YZ450F-YZ-125-250F-450F-250-450-F-5-/190646071999

Edited by CaptDan

thanks alan48, but yeah 7/8" doesn't help, besides I've already bought $75 worth of ride engineering bar clamps. The triple clamp was actually marked "07 2-stroke", but yeah who knows, could be a mistake or maybe off a 125, the guy's a vet pro who's been on many yamahas for at least 10 years so I can be anything. I took an approximate measurment with the clamp still on the bike and it does look like it's about 1/4" shorter than the original one. I'll probably just end up swapping the stem, it's not really that big of a deal.

Thanks everyone!

You've got another issue,too.The 05 tripleclamps are 2 mm closer together than the 06 tripleclamps.Starting in 06,all the bikes got tripleclamps that placed the fork tubes 2 mm farther apart and made the bottom of the forks wider to be able to use the same spacers as their older models.You are going to have a 2mm gap to deal with when putting your front wheel on with the 05 fork tubes.I put 07 yz450f tripleclamps and 07 YZ450f SSS forks on my 05.Awesome improvement.

...The 05 tripleclamps are 2 mm closer together than the 06 tripleclamps...

Good catch.

I think what generally happens is as long as the front brake disc has the proper clearance and/or fits well into the caliper, the axle takes up the slack and the right fork leg self-centers on the axle. :excuseme:

It's not perfect but it seems to work.

Keep us in the loop with what you find out, Ti_arm_guy!

yes yes yes, I'm aware of all this. And I"m still on the hunt for a set of SSS actually, but honestly I haven't even ridden the bike yet, so I'll see how the AOSS work first. I will be using the bike primarely for woods and GP's so I might not be as critical as on an MX bike, but we'll see.

And as CaptDan said, I think it will be fine because the axle sinks into the right fork lug a couple of millimiters more to compensate and the rotor might be off one millimiter but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I took the clamp off this morning and put them side by side and confirmed that one stem is shorter so I will have them swapped