Sign in to follow this  

How do you break the front sprocket nut loose?

On my street bike i put a pipe through the rim and use the spoke to provide the necessary pressure to keep the chain from spinning. Now i cant do that on my yz250f because i will bend/break the spokes.

Yz is hard because its arounf 50ftlbs if i remember right on my yz250 . use a QUALITY AIR IMPACT. other then that your SOL lol 

• Like 2

Leave the chain on and have someone hold the rear brake. Simple as that.

not always the case on a yz they are tourqed hard my yz wouldnt break loose with anything but an impact even in gear with the brake on with wood in the spokes 

not always the case on a yz they are tourqed hard my yz wouldnt break loose with anything but an impact even in gear with the brake on with wood in the spokes 

If your brake can't keep it from spinning then it's on way too tight... or you really need to look into why your brakes suck so much.

Edited by woods-rider

If your brake can't keep it from spinning then it's on way too tight... or you really need to look into why your brakes suck so much.

LOL if it was a little rusted like mine and a back brake that worked fine i wish you luck getting it off any other way than what we did 

i put mine in gear  and or have someone mash the rear brake ??

woods-rider, on 12 Sept 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:snapback.png

Leave the chain on

Good point

1/2 My method wont work without a chain LOL 

Edited by Zimman

Replacing the brakes while i have the tire on because the brakes are close to shot.

Ill try the rear brake thing. I have a buddy who wrenchs on bikes if all else fails ill take it to him but it would be alot easier to do it myself

I usually try to block the front sprocket from moving by wedging something against the chain guard and the sprocket. That way it doesn't have to be in gear and you don't have to have your chain on. Works every time for me.

Yz is hard because its arounf 50ftlbs if i remember right on my yz250 . use a QUALITY AIR IMPACT. other then that your SOL lol 

I agree with a quality air impact. Done this myself many times.

I've always heard NOT to have it in gear, it will F things up.. Rear brake and an impact wrench.

Thats what ive always heard as well.. Something about messing up the gear box

I've pretty much always gotten it to work with an electric impact alone while the chain is still on, if that doesn't get it then have someone hold the rear brake. I never stick it in gear as that can be hard on the transmission with a powerful enough impact.