cr500 shock upgrade

so after turning 30 and gaining about 45lb the last 2 years, I'm finding that the Stock shock on my CR500 isn't cutting it anymore, CR500 shocks are known to be soft, but this is waaaay to soft, it's old and worn so an rebuild probably wont do it.

are there other shocks out there who will bolt up in an old steelie framed 500? newer crf shocks or older cr250 shocks? other brand shocks maybe?

having the Stock one revalved and worked on is out of the question,, shops that deal With suspension here in norway are almost non-existing and overpriced.

Have you looked for a stiffer spring?

Have you looked for a stiffer spring?

Yeah but I'm not sure that'll do the trick, my shock itself is in pretty bad shape.

What year 500 do you have? What shock is on it, the stock one? I have an extra I'm sure.

swap to the aluminum frames and revalve/respring the suspension

How much do you weigh?

If the shock hasn't been serviced in a long time, that might explain why it feels very soft.  A very easy trick is to recharge the shock to 150 psi using a normal air compressor.  That's very crude, but might restore some function.

Search Youtube for videos on servicing the shock yourself.  It's not nearly as difficult as it might seem.  Or look into shipping the shock to a cheaper suspension store in maybe Germany or the UK.

If the steel CR500 frames are at all similar to steel CR250 frames, a shock from an aluminum framed CRF will not work.  The newer shocks are longer and have the reservoir at the wrong place.

How much do you weigh?

If the shock hasn't been serviced in a long time, that might explain why it feels very soft.  A very easy trick is to recharge the shock to 150 psi using a normal air compressor.  That's very crude, but might restore some function.

Search Youtube for videos on servicing the shock yourself.  It's not nearly as difficult as it might seem.  Or look into shipping the shock to a cheaper suspension store in maybe Germany or the UK.

If the steel CR500 frames are at all similar to steel CR250 frames, a shock from an aluminum framed CRF will not work.  The newer shocks are longer and have the reservoir at the wrong place.

I weigh about 218lb, the shock only has about 10hrs of ridetime since I had a Complete service at a local shop, don't know if they did a proper job though...

but I might take a look at a stiffer spring, what springrate would suit my weight? I don't MX the bike, mainly trailriding and iceriding.

can I break something using a compressor as you suggest?

Edited by Norway

Somewhere around  5.8 or so shock spring.

I have an gen 1 AF chassi without engine for sale. just put your engine in it. It's made for the 500. One hour and you're ready to go. It also has Racetech internals in the suspension. HRC alloy tank too :=) It needs some tender and care, but is complete without the engine.

Edited by Johnnymannen

I weigh about 218lb, the shock only has about 10hrs of ridetime since I had a Complete service at a local shop, don't know if they did a proper job though...

but I might take a look at a stiffer spring, what springrate would suit my weight? I don't MX the bike, mainly trailriding and iceriding.

can I break something using a compressor as you suggest?

Sounds like all you really need is a spring that matches your weight. The shock does not hold the bike up, the spring does that.

The Race Tech website has a spring rate calculator.  At 218 pounds, you will almost certainly want a stiffer rear spring (and probably front springs too).

Filling the shock's bladder with air would only be done if all the nitrogen has leaked out after several years.