Sign in to follow this  

to buy or not to buy... my factors to consider

I'm a new poster here folks. I've been reading through the forums for a bit, but would like some input on my specific situation. I'm about to buy a CRF250L for occasional commuting and running around for fun. But, I just found out my mother has cancer... this means I'll be taking a  trip about once a month for appx. 2.5hrs down the highway at 65-70mph speeds to my parents to help out with the cancer treatments. I'm a pretty young feller so I can handle getting beat up by the wind a bit. Pretty much the whole trip down to my parents is flat interstate riding. I'm thinking I might need something a little bigger than the 250 now. What do you think? Other than the monthly trip down to my parents' I'll mostly be riding around town and maybe highway commuting about 25 miles to work once a week. 

Sooooo... can this little 250 handle some trips down flat SC interstate, or should I start looking at BRP's and the like?

first off .... Welcome ...  :cheers:

it can handle it just fine .... up to you to decide if you want to ...   :excuseme:

You did not mention any trail riding .... and the CRF250L is a really good trail bike. if I was never to go off road enduro style ... I would consider one of these ... for a daily driver  :thumbsup:

Honda%20NC%20700X%2012%20%202.jpg

clarification: "around town" includes many middle of nowhere Carolina dirt/sand roads, so I'm definitely looking to go the dual sport direction.

• Like 2

first off .... Welcome ...  :cheers:

it can handle it just fine .... up to you to decide if you want to ...   :excuseme:

You did not mention any trail riding .... and the CRF250L is a really good trail bike. if I was never to go off road enduro style ... I would consider one of these ... for a daily driver  :thumbsup:

Honda%20NC%20700X%2012%20%202.jpg

You can get a Kaw Versys in the price range of the Honda NC700.  The Versys from a technological standpoint is light years ahead of the comparable Honda.

• Like 1

To specifically answer your question. Yes the bike can easily do what you require it is basically a cbr250r with dirtbike wheels and suspension. I'm quite happy doing over 500km in a day on the bike. The only area where it lacks is torque to pull the tall 14/40 sprockets up hills on the highway.

I would arrange a test ride on a crf250l or a cbr250r and ride it on the freeway to see if it is adequate for your needs.

• Like 1

How big are ya ?  

are you willing to mod it a little ? 

6'1" and 170lbs... not gonna do a whole lot of mods in the 1st year.   Can't find a dealership around here that will let me test ride one! 

I think you will be happy with it. Also you will need to put a 13 tooth front sprocket on it right away ... It will add to your top end and hold highway speeds uphill ... I know it does not make sense but you can see lots of posts on the subject here and it is in fact true ... the bike is way over geared for its power  :prof:

The CRF250L is so popular that they are hard to find and all walks of people doing all different kinds of things with them. 

If you take your time and read through the old threads on this site you can learn or find answers to anything you need or want to know. 

I love my bike and am very happy with my purchase !!! 

also, i have spent a lot of time on a DRZ400S (actually get paid to ride it about once a week : ) Should i expect a crf250l to handle about like a DRZ on the highway? 

I have heard/read that the CRF actually handles better,runs smoother and is more stable but lacks in the power dept. 

I don't know if this helps you, but this is a small part of a 600km ride I did in a day on a stock crf250l

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

also, i have spent a lot of time on a DRZ400S (actually get paid to ride it about once a week : ) Should i expect a crf250l to handle about like a DRZ on the highway? 

The crf250l is much smoother at highway speeds than a DRZ400, it doesn't have the grunt of the DRZ though

• Like 1

First, i hope you mother has success with her treatment.

I can answer the DRZ comparison question...I have had two of them prior to the CRF. I loved both of them.

There are two reasons I sold the last DRZ for the CRF.

1) I ride a lot with my kids and hop on and off the bike a lot while on trails I'm the woods. The DRZ was to top heavy and tall for this purpose, for me. The CRF is a little shorter and does not feel top heavy even though the weight is similar to the DRZ.

2) I wanted fuel injection.

It will do highway all day if you can do it. For a young guy, I don't see a trip that long being an issue.

The DRZ is a solid bike. So to me, the CRF is better and that says something.

• Like 6

First, i hope you mother has success with her treatment.

I can answer the DRZ comparison question...I have had two of them prior to the CRF. I loved both of them.

There are two reasons I sold the last DRZ for the CRF.

1) I ride a lot with my kids and hop on and off the bike a lot while on trails I'm the woods. The DRZ was to top heavy and tall for this purpose, for me. The CRF is a little shorter and does not feel top heavy even though the weight is similar to the DRZ.

2) I wanted fuel injection.

It will do highway all day if you can do it. For a young guy, I don't see a trip that long being an issue.

The DRZ is a solid bike. So to me, the CRF is better and that says something.

Not to mention the DRZ street version comes with the worst Mikuni carb ever made.  A buddy of mine has the moto version of that bike and it's a real tinker toy with that carb.  It seems like everytime the weather changes we are playing around with the jets, fuel mixture and idel adjustments on that thing.  I think the off road DR comes with a better Kehin carb, but those are expensive to swap out.

Edited by greenyone
  • Like 2