Oem Head oring too big?

Had to reuse old one because brand new oem was too big. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

They are just a tat larger just use grease to put them in.

Only time I've seen one get too big was after contact with kerosene. Did you know that stuff makes o-rings and other rubber parts swell? I was quite surprised. After about 2 days it shrank back down to a small enough size I could use it again.

Now, if you just took a brand new o-ring out of the package and it is too big there is something else wrong. I would not try to use it if it is too big. I would take it back to the seller and explain that it is defective.

What happened to this o-ring before you bought it?

I took it out of a oem packaging, onto cylinder. Bought it recently from Rmatv. Must be a fluke or something.

Edited by Fasz Kalap

I took it out of a oem packaging, onto cylinder. Bought it recently from Rmatv. Must be a fluke or something.

Sounds like it. Anyway, those guys have excellent customer service and I am sure they will promptly ship you a replacement. Did you verify the part number just to be sure?

Yeah just checked, part numbers all correct.

One problem I see time and time again is people starting at one point and and pressing the o-ring in as they go along, sliding their finger along the o-ring. When the o-ring is full pressed in there is a extra cm or so because the o-ring being stretched. This is not the correct way to install o-rings. You need to lay them on top and just press them straight down NOT sliding your finger...

No, its nothing like that. There is about an inch extra. Should just pop right in. I changed the inner red oring with a new oem oring and it fit fine. I ordered a bunch of oem seals and orings at the same time, everything fit like it should except for the black hat oring. 

These grooves and oring seals aren't trivial, either they fit, or they don't. So I was bummed to see the oem seal be the wrong size. 

inch extra doesn't sound right, make sure you contact rmatv and post in their product comments,   always a crapshoot with any aftermarket gaskets IMO.

Ran into it several times on my 250. Tried freezing it and grease, but it wasn't even close. Glad I'm not the only one.

Craigus

inch extra doesn't sound right, make sure you contact rmatv and post in their product comments,   always a crapshoot with any aftermarket gaskets IMO.

Oem Yamaha oring

Edited by Fasz Kalap

One problem I see time and time again is people starting at one point and and pressing the o-ring in as they go along, sliding their finger along the o-ring. When the o-ring is full pressed in there is a extra cm or so because the o-ring being stretched. This is not the correct way to install o-rings. You need to lay them on top and just press them straight down NOT sliding your finger...

This is it, once you stretch them they don't return, either.