Sign in to follow this  

Need Help Deciding on New Dual Sport Bike

Need help deciding on a new Dual Sport Bike

I haven’t ridden in a while and the only 4Sroke bike I ever had was my first bike – a good old Honda SL70.  After that it was all 2Stroke Moto-X bikes and the last one was an RM250. But I’m now much older and want to start riding again so I was thinking about doing the Adventure Bike thing and have a nice get-a-round town bike as well.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Suzuki DRZ400S, Suzuki DR650, Honda XR650L, or the Husqvarna TR650 Terra.  My concerns are primarily off road performance, seat height, and weight.

Can anybody help?

Edited by chuckbike

I have a DRZ400 and highly recommend it (mine is the E model, but was made street legal). The rear sprocket has been dropped to a 39 tooth so it's great for backroads and freeways, as well as around town and in the dirt. I like being able to use it for an inexpensive commuter, but it is great on the trails as far as weight and clearance. It is a bit of a taller bike, but I'm 5'10" and have no issues with it. The bike sits tall but the suspension will sag some when sitting on it.

The other day I was going to work (~40 mile ride) and about 65% of the way there the road was washed out due to rains as it goes through a usually dry riverbed. I was able to go through the sandy mud with no problems and get back to where the pavement wasn't covered with no effort. I later had to go to the freeway due to flooding, and cruised it at 75-80 with ease.

It's more of an offroad bike out of the box, but can easily be tweaked for more road use while keeping itt geared as a great offroad bike. As mine sits, I drive it 80 miles a day and it is great as an all around bike. It met my criteria of being inexpensive, reliable, fun, and good for dirt, side roads, and highways.

Thanks for your input ZMajic97.  I read somewhere that your E model as lot more juice than the new S model.  So would I have to do some major engine modifications to make the S perform as well as your bike, and if so would that make it less reliable?

Thanks for your input ZMajic97.  I read somewhere that your E model as lot more juice than the new S model.  So would I have to do some major engine modifications to make the S perform as well as your bike, and if so would that make it less reliable?

To the best of my knowledge the biggest difference is the carb and the cams for the most part (and suspension for some years). The big advantage for street purpose is the S has better emissions. Arizona had bike emissions until recently so my carb is tuned down to pass, but now that it's gone I can rejet it, but I do not intend to. I've owned both the S and E models, and I don't feel like the difference is all that huge. If emissions isn't as issue, you can change the carb and cams, but I don't personally see it as worth it (unless you have the skills or don't mind the cost). It would seem cheaper to me to buy the E and put the lights and horn on if the work and price of parts doesn't bother you. Out of the box, I think the S model would be just fine.

strange list if you value offroad performance,  why are beta & ktm not on the list?  the terra is a dead bike/brand it's a big risk owning one

That makes me feel a lot better about the S model, and I saw some encouraging videos on U-tube including a couple of modification jobs, with carbs and pipes, that will boost the power up another 5hp or so.

As far as the list of bikes goes, I guess I’m trying to save another $2grand. I need to buy a whole new set of riding gear and I’d also like to take a few riding trips both in the US and abroad as well. I could look for a used bike, but that might creat a whole new set of problems and talk the all the fun out of it.

That makes me feel a lot better about the S model, and I saw some encouraging videos on U-tube including a couple of modification jobs, with carbs and pipes, that will boost the power up another 5hp or so.

As far as the list of bikes goes, I guess I’m trying to save another $2grand. I need to buy a whole new set of riding gear and I’d also like to take a few riding trips both in the US and abroad as well. I could look for a used bike, but that might creat a whole new set of problems and talk the all the fun out of it.

Around here xr650l's go for about $3500.00 used some are like new yet. Doesn't hurt to keep an open mind.

I have no complaints with any on the list, except the Husa.

My next bike probably will be a xr, unless I find a street legal KTM for cheap.

The only one on your list that is really an option with the things you say you're looking for is the DRZ. No idea how much a new one is but I'm sure considerably cheaper than the euro bikes. The only one that's not going to be way more is the Husky TE310R, uncork one of those any they're a blast to ride. Light, good offroad but they are tall.

You are right, ridngslikecrack, keeping an open mind is good advice. With that said, what don't you like about the Husky - it got a really good review from Bike Mag?

And yes the TE310R does look like nice bike, tall your right JTucker, but I think that bike runs around 8K. There's also not a lot of Husqavanas around here. The nearest dealer is over 300 miles away.

Ok - so after all the great help, advice, and some research, I think the DRZ400S is it. Now, what is the typical mark up on a new bike and what would be a fair asking price?