Sign in to follow this  

Need input on my trailer A/C setup please!

I been working on adding A/C to my 7X14 V nose enclosed trailer.  I'm being told this setup may not work correctly, so I'm looking for some advice on here if I need to make modifications.

First, I cut an opening and installed a hatch when the A/C is not in use

Outside_zps3c16a77c.jpg

Close up of hatch

hatch_zps02b37f8e.jpg

With hatch removed, you can see the A/C.  This is for the hot air exhaust (my theory anyway)

AC_zps10b3330b.jpg

Here is a pic from inside.  You see the A/C mounted top left, microwave below, cabinets to the right of the A/C and cabinets below the counter.  I have room for a TV on the right side when I get to it.

Inside_zpsfa7ae220.jpg

I didn't want to pay $600+ for a roof mount A/C and I didn't want this mounted outside.  This is a $95 unit from Wal-Mart with 5050 BTU.  My Yamaha 2000 generator runs it fine under testing.  I'll run it longer this weekend, but I'm looking for input on this install.  Is it OK or do I need to modify it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edited by Eastflorida234

If this is a window mount AC, then it will not work correctly as you have blocked the air vents on the sides of the unit.

I been working on adding A/C to my 7X14 V nose enclosed trailer.  I'm being told this setup may not work correctly, so I'm looking for some advice on here if I need to make modifications.

First, I cut an opening and installed a hatch when the A/C is not in use

Outside_zps3c16a77c.jpg

Close up of hatch

hatch_zps02b37f8e.jpg

With hatch removed, you can see the A/C.  This is for the hot air exhaust (my theory anyway)

AC_zps10b3330b.jpg

Here is a pic from inside.  You see the A/C mounted top left, microwave below, cabinets to the right of the A/C and cabinets below the counter.  I have room for a TV on the right side when I get to it.

Inside_zpsfa7ae220.jpg

I didn't want to pay $600+ for a roof mount A/C and I didn't want this mounted outside.  This is a $95 unit from Wal-Mart with 5050 BTU.  My Yamaha 2000 generator runs it fine under testing.  I'll run it longer this weekend, but I'm looking for input on this install.  Is it OK or do I need to modify it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

i don't see why it wont work. as long as the hatch is open when in use, the hot exhust will blow out, now... if the unit has fresh air vents on the side and bottom, then you need to make sure those get fresh air. and usually from the outside. otherwise, should work. clean install too.

You seem to be a pretty handy guy. Put it on some drawer slides with some latches. Slide out to use, back in to travel.

• Like 2

You seem to be a pretty handy guy. Put it on some drawer slides with some latches. Slide out to use, back in to travel.

What he said. It will produce A LOT of water from condensation. Especially in Florida. 

Edited by EagleFreek

If this is a window mount AC, then it will not work correctly as you have blocked the air vents on the sides of the unit.

There is a lot of room around the A/C unit behind the bulkhead.  It is not closed in closely to the louvers on the top and the sides.  Does that change your opinion? 

What he said. It will produce A LOT of water from condensation. Especially in Florida. 

I have a drip pan below the A/C and above the microwave plumbed to drain out the bottom of the trailer.  Does this change your opinion?

There is a lot of room around the A/C unit behind the bulkhead. It is not closed in closely to the louvers on the top and the sides. Does that change your opinion?

Even with room on the sides, unless there is proper air flow around the unit it will not operate at peak efficiency. I'll be interested to hear how cool it gets during use. Like everyone has said, that install is really clean. Nice job!

It won't work very well. Your cooling fins, while semi-exposed to outside, are still really inside your trailer. Hot air is less dense than cold air, so the hot air coming off of your cooling fins (that are still technically inside your trailer) will just rise up to the ceiling of your trailer. A small amount will radiate to the ambient outside air, but on a 90* day I doubt you could get it down to 80* with that setup.

It does look really clean the way you installed it though. Like others have said. just install some slider mechanism so you can slide the whole cooling fin portion to the outside of the trailer. Put in some sort of rubber or foam gasket to create a seal around the unit to keep that cool air inside and the hot air outside when it's in the out position.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys!  I think I'll give it a try and if it fails, I like the idea of a slide system to move it outside.  I'll keep you posted. I ran it last night for about 2 hours as I was working inside.  The air was cold blowing in but I didn't run it long enough to see if it would completely cool the trailer.

Could I add a little fan to help direct the exhaust out the hatch?

In theory, should this A/C be enough to cool the trailer if it is slid outside?  I didn't add insulation to the sides, but I did install styrofoam sheets in the ceiling when I put it up.

Thanks again!!

Edited by Eastflorida234

I have a drip pan below the A/C and above the microwave plumbed to drain out the bottom of the trailer.  Does this change your opinion?

Well, you have it all figured out, why are you asking for advice/opinions? Just to bark at them? Seems like many people go to lots of extra work to save some money and in the end, it may work, but isnt right. Get the roof unit, pay the extra, it fits right in your existing 14" X 14" roof vent hole. Installed, out of the way, no space consumed inside the trailer for it, all out of your way. You can add another roof vent if you want to still have a vent. I installed mine in the roof, just added another hole in the ceiling.

Mine is a 9000 BTU and it will cool it down, but works hard. I insulated the ceiling and it helps a lot. If you are in super hot areas, (I see you are in Florida) the 5500 BTU unit wont help unless you are in the shade, then its still questionable. But the metal skinned trailer in sunlight will be too much for that AC unit. My 9000 BTU runs fine o ff my Honda EU2000i. You can get ceiling units also in the 13,500 BTU units, that will cool it easily. Also a 15,500, but requires much more energy, the small gennies wont run the 13.5 or the 15.5.

finished_trailer.jpg

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

The problem is, it's exhausting hot air out of the condenser. It has to suck in air from somewhere to replace all that air its blowing out. That means that while cooling, it's pulling in hot outside air into your trailer - working against itself. You'll either need to mount the unit outside, or give the rear of the unit its own "ambient" air supply.

• Like 1

The a/c needs outside air to move across the coil on the backside. I had my window unit mounted in a box screwed to the wall of our boxvan with the tail flush with the outside surface and it had an opening on each side to suck in outside air to blow out across the coil(i had an aluminum panel to cover the outside). The drain for the condensation was run down the inside wall and exited below onto the ground. 

Looks great just needs some holes on the sides to suck in outside air as opposed to sucking inside air thru the cracks of the cabnets and thus sucking in hot air thru the ramp and side door.

Best od luck!