Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania want to try racing

hi im 16 and have a 1989 kx 125 i live in northeast pa and i wont to do some races with my friend. not motocross but maybe a hare scramble or enduro idk what would be easiest for a beginner. i don't wont to try and win i just thought it would be fun but i don't know of any races in my area or what kind to do, can any one help?  

First and foremost, biggest thing is to relax and have fun while your doing it.

HS's can be a bit intense depending on the race.  After all everyone is trying to go as fast as they can.  HS's take place on a closed loop usually 8-10 miles long, and races are either 2 or 3 hours. AA and A riders you don't need to worry about; they go by you before you even know their there<g>.  It's the impatient B and C riders that cause problems.  If someone sarts to yell at you because they want to get by, just nod your head and move over as soon as you can.   Most will give you a nice "Thank you", but some can be real jerks about it.  Just let it roll off.

If you can find a couple local enduro's to start with, that might be a better choice.  Sometimes these are called "Dual Sport" rides and they are single track; you never go over a piece of trail more then once.   Race's are typically 80-90 miles and a all day event.    There's also timekeeping with that and checkpoints, but don't worry about time keeping the first one or two, just do the ride.

As far as where, one series you might want to check out is:

www.wnyoa.net

They run both HS's and Enduro's in southern NY and a few in PA.   Not sure exactly where you are in NE PA (just saying that still covers a lot of area).

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

Hurricane Hills in Clifford is having a hare scramble the last weekend of this month. It's probably close to you and worth trying out. I believe they do incorporate the MX track into the course. I've never done it so I don't know how intense it is but if you have mountain and rock experience you should be fine. Ride at your own pace and pull aside when you hear someone coming.

thanks do you guys know if any younger kids race my friend is 12 and has a ttr 125 he is just learning but he wants to try some next summer with me too

Youth races for small bikes are usually on Sat adults, big bikes, on Sun. Not sure how hurricane hills does it though. Check out their website hhmotocross.com

I'm in michigan and have a similar desire to get into this.  I'm a good rider i just dont know how to get into the racing.  Does it require a signup, are they official races, are there any just for fun where you can just go ride/practice and not have to start all at the same time? stuff like that. so I'll be listening in on this  ;)

I'm in michigan and have a similar desire to get into this. I'm a good rider i just dont know how to get into the racing. Does it require a signup, are they official races, are there any just for fun where you can just go ride/practice and not have to start all at the same time? stuff like that. so I'll be listening in on this ;)

The first thing I would do is sign up and get an ama card, they do a lot for Any motorcycle rider.If your looking for a race that you don't start all at the same time an enduro is your thing, its like a series of little races throughout the day.An enduro starts usually at 8:00a.m.and 4 guys take off every minute until all classes have gone.Dual sport rides are just that, a organized ride you sign up and go.The thing with these to disciplines of riding is you need a on off road bike or at least one you can title because there is road riding.Harescambles and mx are run on a closed course and you can run pretty much any mechanically sound bike.Either MX or harescrambles have beginner classes for any age person just Google your state with what kind of racing you want to do and it will pop up with what's available. ex.Michigan motocrosses. hope this helps and good luck
  • Like 1

There is a Hare Scramble in October just south of Manahawkin NJ

Your bike is fine for that race as long as it will run for 90 minutes.

It's sandy soil and not a survival run.