Sign in to follow this  

06 kx450f, where do i begin?

hey guys, not really sure where to begin here... bought the bike used in spring of 09. the guy flipped it over backwards & broke the tailpipe, handlebars & rear fender. i replaced everything & installed an FMF factory 4.1 slip on. it has always had a bit of a decel. pop/backfire but i recently installed a powerbomb header & it seems to have gotten worse. the bike ran fine otherwise. once i installed the powerbomb header i was having problems with my boot melting to the pipe, so i wrapped it with that fiberglass exhaust wrap from head bolts to the midpipe/header joint. i also installed all new plastics/ seat/ & fuel tank. after this my bike has not ran propeerly. at first the bike would run out of fuel & not start for a while(or so it seemed) i cleanded out the fuel filter a few times & checked all the hoses. PROBLEM, with the added depth of the tank the hose was kinking where it left to meet the petcock, a quick turn of the fuel valve & it unkinked & seems t o be getting gas now. while it was apart i ckecked the gascap too, thinking it could be clogged. the bike starts fine, runs good but still has that popping & after about 5 minutes of riding today it began to die {as if starving} (on idle) in the apex of a turn with the clutch in. a quick dump of the clutch & it was running again but the problem persists. i just cleaned air filter(foam filter products unavailable do to location, used mineral spirits & chainsaw bar oil( , changed oil & filter, new antifreeze aswell. the guy who owned it before me must have played with the carb, i went as far as returning the fuel/air screw to stock position & it idled extremely high, backfired on idle! & spewed antifreeze from the vent ( this has been dripping now for a couple short rides). i returned it to where he had it (a whopping 3 3/4 turns out!!) & it idles normal again, but still has a bit of a pop. i dont know if any of this is relevant but i dont want to do any unnesscary dissambly/ "tinkering' if i can avoid it. also the bike seems to be leaking a SMALL amount of oil around the spark plug hole, where the cam cover meets. im ordering a new rad cap, gonna clean & return the carb to factory spec,  put a new petcock & fuel lines on just for piece of mind, & check for exhaust leaks. i assume i should check the intake boots aswell. any advice is REALLY aprreciated. where should i look first, what the best way to check for leaks? should i send the motor out if i cant fix it or save for a crate motor over the snowy season? i lost guys someone help me, i loved my baby girl till she started acting up... now i dont know what to do with her...

EDIT: im not sure if the rad cap is shot or if its over heating that bad but i cannot ride it now with losing that precious green liquid all over

Edited by KxFlinFl0n

hey guys, not really sure where to begin here... bought the bike used in spring of 09. the guy flipped it over backwards & broke the tailpipe, handlebars & rear fender. i replaced everything & installed an FMF factory 4.1 slip on. it has always had a bit of a decel. pop/backfire but i recently installed a powerbomb header & it seems to have gotten worse. the bike ran fine otherwise. once i installed the powerbomb header i was having problems with my boot melting to the pipe, so i wrapped it with that fiberglass exhaust wrap from head bolts to the midpipe/header joint. i also installed all new plastics/ seat/ & fuel tank. after this my bike has not ran propeerly. at first the bike would run out of fuel & not start for a while(or so it seemed) i cleanded out the fuel filter a few times & checked all the hoses. PROBLEM, with the added depth of the tank the hose was kinking where it left to meet the petcock, a quick turn of the fuel valve & it unkinked & seems t o be getting gas now. while it was apart i ckecked the gascap too, thinking it could be clogged. the bike starts fine, runs good but still has that popping & after about 5 minutes of riding today it began to die {as if starving} (on idle) in the apex of a turn with the clutch in. a quick dump of the clutch & it was running again but the problem persists. i just cleaned air filter(foam filter products unavailable do to location, used mineral spirits & chainsaw bar oil( , changed oil & filter, new antifreeze aswell. the guy who owned it before me must have played with the carb, i went as far as returning the fuel/air screw to stock position & it idled extremely high, backfired on idle! & spewed antifreeze from the vent ( this has been dripping now for a couple short rides). i returned it to where he had it (a whopping 3 3/4 turns out!!) & it idles normal again, but still has a bit of a pop. i dont know if any of this is relevant but i dont want to do any unnesscary dissambly/ "tinkering' if i can avoid it. also the bike seems to be leaking a SMALL amount of oil around the spark plug hole, where the cam cover meets. im ordering a new rad cap, gonna clean & return the carb to factory spec,  put a new petcock & fuel lines on just for piece of mind, & check for exhaust leaks. i assume i should check the intake boots aswell. any advice is REALLY aprreciated. where should i look first, what the best way to check for leaks? should i send the motor out if i cant fix it or save for a crate motor over the snowy season? i lost guys someone help me, i loved my baby girl till she started acting up... now i dont know what to do with her...

EDIT: im not sure if the rad cap is shot or if its over heating that bad but i cannot ride it now with losing that precious green liquid all over

I would check the valve's and shims and make certain that they have proper clearance and are sealing the combustion chamber before doing anything else.

New pilot jet.

Then check/replace head gasket.

That might do it.