Sign in to follow this  

Whooped out acceleration straights

So from all the great advice here, I've been trying to stand and squeeze more which has been helpful in reducing my death grip. I'm trying to let the bike push me through my legs. The problem I'm having is in whooped out sections under acceleration, the only way I can get power to the ground and keep the front end light is to lean back which requires the bike to pull me through my hard grip on the bars. This fatigues my hands /arms way fast. If I lean forward and let the bike push me, there's no way I can keep the front end light. I get all whooped out.

Please advise me.

Thanks so much.

You need to keep good power going and shift thru the rollers. Pulling back should get the front end up. Try to keep arms slightly bent and use your posture to keep pressure pulling on the bars.

I should have been more clear, not rollers but long section of squareish natural forming whoops.

Very rough sections are going to wear you out much faster no matter what you do. The only way around it is to find smoother lines. If you watch most of the faster guys you will see that they tend to avoid rough sections when they can, often riding on the edge of the track. If you have to go through a rough section then try shifting up a gear higher than you normally would be in, hold the throttle steady, lean back and keep the front end light. This will make your arms and legs more tired than going down a smooth track, as you have already noticed, but you will have the best control this way.

Good advice above.

I'd also reiterate the throttle application and how important that is. You shouldn't pull up on the bars, you should use the throttle to keep the front light. When you do this trick, those sections won't wear you out as much. Gear selection plays a huge role in this.

I also agree, finding better lines is critical.

I do find whooped out corners to be the worst, when your under braking entering a corner and it has 1 - 2 foot whoops everywhere like a mine field, that actually abuses your body worse because there isn't much you can do besides suck it up and push through.

These are the things that make moto hard, and seperates people who are in good shape and people who are not. There's nothing you can do besides having well set up suspension, shift up, lean back......and take the beating. Yes, you can look for smoother lines, but they might not be the fastest. I'm an offroad racer who dabbles in moto occasionally. I usually get weird looks at the track when I cruise up to the start line with a 3 gal tank, 18" rear wheel, stabilizer and Flexx bars....but I guaran-damn-tee I feel les of the track then they do

I do find whooped out corners to be the worst, when your under braking entering a corner and it has 1 - 2 foot whoops everywhere like a mine field, that actually abuses your body worse because there isn't much you can do besides suck it up and push through.

I kinda like them, because I basically don't care about them... but everybody else does... yes, they are a bit more fatiguing physically, but thats it. It's funny how some of my friends always keep complaining about track conditions, ruts, rough sections, and god knows what else... the funny thing about that is that they're holding themselves back because of that negative image they got in their heads of certain obstacles. They could do much better but simply because they decide to hate certain sections they miss a chance to learn something... they miss a chance to get faster...but most of all, they miss a chance to have fun...  the more I ride motocross (and especially after recovering from a torn ACL) the more I realize how f***ing mental that sport actually is...

Edited by impact125

I kinda like them, because I basically don't care about them... but everybody else does... yes, they are a bit more fatiguing physically, but thats it. It's funny how some of my friends always keep complaining about track conditions, ruts, rough sections, and god knows what else... the funny thing about that is that they're holding themselves back because of that negative image they got in their heads of certain obstacles. They could do much better but simply because they decide to hate certain sections they miss a chance to learn something... they miss a chance to get faster...but most of all, they miss a chance to have fun...  the more I ride motocross (and especially after recovering from a torn ACL) the more I realize how f***ing mental that sport actually is...

Completely agree and its important to put yourself in a wide array of situations so you can learn how to cope.

After you've got the basic skills down, motocross is completely a mental game. If you feel comfortable, you will go quick, no matter what's wrong with the track, your body or the bike.