Sign in to follow this  

400 s head to 400 E head ?

I have a buddy that trashed the head on his 400S. He got a 400E head off of ebay. When installing it, I noticed a few things that are different, First is the carb intake is for a bigger carb???? Second, there is a hose on the intake that hangs down about 3 inches. I put the carb boot from the 400S on the head, as it tapered to fit the smaller carb. Tried to start it and nothing. I capped the hose on the intake and it started right up, but wont idle and is running rough. 

What is that hose??  The 400 S doesn't have it.  And what about carb size?? Should we get the bigger carb or can we jet this one to work ?

I have a buddy that trashed the head on his 400S. He got a 400E head off of ebay. When installing it, I noticed a few things that are different, First is the carb intake is for a bigger carb???? Second, there is a hose on the intake that hangs down about 3 inches. I put the carb boot from the 400S on the head, as it tapered to fit the smaller carb. Tried to start it and nothing. I capped the hose on the intake and it started right up, but wont idle and is running rough. 

What is that hose??  The 400 S doesn't have it.  And what about carb size?? Should we get the bigger carb or can we jet this one to work ?

Sorry, It is a 2001

The pipe would either be the feed for the FCR carb overrun enrichener or the fuel petcock vacuum feed, either way if there is a nipple in front of your carb, it need to be blocked, either with the wee rubber pipe covers of a wee short bolt of the same size and thread as the nipple. apart from the manual decomp assembly should fit up fine, Ive done the same, but in reverse

The only difference in the head assembly, E, S, SM, Kicker of the same year is the machining for the manual decompression assembly.

Earlier DRZ heads had a cam chain "catch" bolt on the right side.. used on all models, later removed from the design.

The rubber manifold that attaches to the head is indeed a different size  for the FCR vs BSR carbs.. but you simply use one for which ever carb you have...

The only difference in the head assembly, E, S, SM, Kicker of the same year is the machining for the manual decompression assembly.

Earlier DRZ heads had a cam chain "catch" bolt on the right side.. used on all models, later removed from the design.

The rubber manifold that attaches to the head is indeed a different size  for the FCR vs BSR carbs.. but you simply use one for which ever carb you have...

Thank you guys !