hotcams causing bog?

I've got the 50hp package and I've been fighting it trying to get rid of the bog in low and midrange that comes when I twist the throttle. The ap is wired and I've adjusted the squirt timing but it just doesn't have the torque that I think it should. I usually ride midrange rpms on the street only. Just goofing off and doing wheelies.

Would it be a good idea to try the stock cams to give it more midrange and low-end torque or would it be a waste?

To deal with the bog , turn the AP screw back to your start position and try turning it in by 1/2 turn,,,

What are you comparing the midrange to...??

Lot of people have Hotcams ... And no bog

The cams are not the reason.

It's quite possible the AP to be timed too soon

So the carb squirts and enough given the linkage, but too early, and hits the back of the slide.

I experienced the exact same problem. Also 50 hp package.

The timing is adjustable.

Screw behind the throttle wheel cover.

Maybe with lots of fiddling you may be able to adjust with carb on.

But best would be to get the carb off, look through (from the filter side! :) ) and verify if this is the problem.

The adjust, check and refit.

When disconnected from the fuel line, the fuel in the float bowl is enough for a few test-squirts.

I've played with the ap timing quite a bit trying to get the bog to go away. I was running an emn needle clip 3 and the bog was pretty bad. Went to clip 4 and it seemed to do a little better all around.

200 main air jet

158 main

No pilot air jet

45 pilot jet

I've verified the squirt off the bike to just miss the slide. It still feels like it bogs during the squirt but I can't figure out if its a lean bog or a rich bog. I really don't want to have to buy a wideband to get this figured out if I don't have to. Seems like once the squirt is done, it catches up to itself and pulls strong.

Test it without the air box door

Test it without the air box door

This. I found all the recommended settings to be way too rich, and caused a bog. I'm down to 150 MJ (Still 200 MAJ),  38 PJ (PAJ adjusted for the 38 PJ), EMM needle. Mine was the carb just being too rich to begin with, so the squirt of fuel was making it even more rich.

This. I found all the recommended settings to be way too rich, and caused a bog. I'm down to 150 MJ (Still 200 MAJ), 38 PJ (PAJ adjusted for the 38 PJ), EMM needle. Mine was the carb just being too rich to begin with, so the squirt of fuel was making it even more rich.

This is what I was thinking mine was doing but everyone has been saying 45 should be right. I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

I've tested with airbox door on and off. With the needle on clip 4 and the door off it seems to run best all around. I was debating on an adjustable leak jet cuz it seems like its making it too rich when it squirts.

Edited by 6cSumo

This is what I was thinking mine was doing but everyone has been saying 45 should be right. I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

I've tested with airbox door on and off. With the needle on clip 4 and the door off it seems to run best all around. I was debating on an adjustable leak jet cuz it seems like its making it too rich when it squirts.

I'm in Ohio, so I'm not too far from you (so I would think our settings should be similar). Heck, my bike made more power when I went smaller than 150, however I wanted some room for error, better a little rich than too lean.

Does your bike start cold without the choke? 

The adjustable pilot air jet was nice because I was able to tweak it enough to get the decel popping to go away, however I still plan on ordering specific sizes of pilot air jets to test, to see if they are more accurate.

See my post here.

I'm in Ohio, so I'm not too far from you (so I would think our settings should be similar). Heck, my bike made more power when I went smaller than 150, however I wanted some room for error, better a little rich than too lean.

Does your bike start cold without the choke?

The adjustable pilot air jet was nice because I was able to tweak it enough to get the decel popping to go away, however I still plan on ordering specific sizes of pilot air jets to test, to see if they are more accurate.

See my post here.

I've got th Fcr mx so Idk how much that would change the jetting from a slant Fcr. I need to get a handful of pilot jets and start messing with that.

I've got the 50hp package and I've been fighting it trying to get rid of the bog in low and midrange that comes when I twist the throttle. The ap is wired and I've adjusted the squirt timing but it just doesn't have the torque that I think it should. I usually ride midrange rpms on the street only. Just goofing off and doing wheelies.

Would it be a good idea to try the stock cams to give it more midrange and low-end torque or would it be a waste?

what altitude are you at?when I ran a 50hp package I ran a 145mj and I was riding at 1400 ft

what altitude are you at?when I ran a 50hp package I ran a 145mj and I was riding at 1400 ft

I am around 400 ft I believe.

Are you using the quiet insert..??  ..If yes that would be the cause of your bog..

Are you using the quiet insert..?? ..If yes that would be the cause of your bog..

No. My neighbors probably hate me. Lol

try a 150 mj

I've got th Fcr mx so Idk how much that would change the jetting from a slant Fcr. I need to get a handful of pilot jets and start messing with that.

It's really not that much different.