Sign in to follow this  

Bike mellowed?

I little while back my bike seemed to have a bit lower tone, just slightly, and the power doesn't seem as crisp. It's something that I don't think anyone who didn't ride it every day would even notice, but I notice and it makes me wonder if I need be concerned... My bike has about 11,500 miles on it so I know that some wear is to be expected. Is there anything I should be concerned about here?

Maybe try giving the carb a good cleaning and check the valve clearances. Where is it that the power doesn't seem as crisp, lower rpms - higher rpms? Does it idle good still?

Maybe try giving the carb a good cleaning and check the valve clearances. Where is it that the power doesn't seem as crisp, lower rpms - higher rpms? Does it idle good still?

Idles just fine.. I did think that I might want to check the valves again. The other thing, could muffler packing being old and blown out cause this?

Idles just fine.. I did think that I might want to check the valves again. The other thing, could muffler packing being old and blown out cause this?

Do you have an aftermarket muffler?  If so, you can check if the packing is still there by tapping the muffler body with your knuckles or screwdriver handle it should make a dead/dull thud... if it rings out that’s an indication the packing is blown out.  Also try removing the end cap and have a look inside.  The stock muffler has no packing, it’s just baffled.

Do you have an aftermarket muffler? If so, you can check if the packing is still there by tapping the muffler body with your knuckles or screwdriver handle it should make a dead/dull thud... if it rings out that’s an indication the packing is blown out. Also try removing the end cap and have a look inside. The stock muffler has no packing, it’s just baffled.

yes, aftermarket, RS2. Would blown out packing cause this?

It did seem like she is running a bit rough. Maybe I'll check the valves. Any other thoughts???

a hard ridden or poorly maintained drz could be looking at a top end rebuild at 11,000 miles.....how is your maintenance schedule?

maintenance is ok...mostly. Oil changes every 500 miles with a couple times at 1000. Definitely have some of road miles on her too, which are much harder than road miles of course. Air filters cleaned when needed. Always non ethanol has ONLY....
  • Like 1

Ok update..... So the bike is still not right. It seems to vibrate a bit more than it used to for sure. Definitely has a different tone now too...

So I checked the valve clearance and everything is fine. Put some fresh gas in the tank.... Nothing seems to be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Is it an s or sm? Vacuum portion of the petcock may be leaking and causing a rich condition, which would cause a little lower idle, tone and not as crisp. Start w the easy stuff first. I didn't crack into my motor until 15,000 miles and it was to upgrade performance as preventative maintenance. As you are checking over the bike, think back to when it ran before, and what has changed till now.

It is an S... And I really didn't do anything prior to the change.... Maybe I'll clean the air filter, and check the air boots for leaks too.

Start with the petcock first just to rule it out. Pull the hose off directly at the petcock to check. Unless it's bone dry it's bad. Mine was just slightly wet and I never even knew it till I put it on the dyno. Was just seeping slowly. And if I checked it when the bike was cold it was dry. I had to physically run the bike and get it sucking to accurately check it

Start with the petcock first just to rule it out. Pull the hose off directly at the petcock to check. Unless it's bone dry it's bad.

why would that be bad?

I have a (non-leaking) manual petcock and there is always fuel in the pipe when I pull it off. The fuel becomes airlocked once the tap closes so will always sit in the tap & pipe and then spill out once disconnected.

Has the outside temperature changed a lot? The way my bike is jetted I feel a difference for the better as the temperatures go down.

yes the temperature has gone down, but the bike is running worse, not better.

Ok update..... So the bike is still not right. It seems to vibrate a bit more than it used to for sure. Definitely has a different tone now too...

So I checked the valve clearance and everything is fine. Put some fresh gas in the tank.... Nothing seems to be wrong.

Any thoughts?

You mentioned that it seems to vibrate a bit more...  Have you done all of the loctite fixes?  How are the sprockets and chain?  Is the counter shaft nut tight?

You mentioned that it seems to vibrate a bit more... Have you done all of the loctite fixes? How are the sprockets and chain? Is the counter shaft nut tight?

sprocket and chain are a bit worn, but within reasonable use. Have a stainless CS spacer and Loctite on there. Haven't seen any oil under the bike when parked overnight. Have not done the stator Loctite though, but I don't see that causing this problem... Am I wrong?

sprocket and chain are a bit worn, but within reasonable use. Have a stainless CS spacer and Loctite on there. Haven't seen any oil under the bike when parked overnight. Have not done the stator Loctite though, but I don't see that causing this problem... Am I wrong?

Maybe check the chain for any tight spots and be sure that the CS nut is still tight.  Mine has been slightly loose before even though it had been installed 1000's of miles earlier with loctite, the nut was not able to be moved with your fingers but the sprocket was not tight, only a slight bit of movement.  Tight spots in a chain can rob power...  Hopefully your problem is not something serious.