Sign in to follow this  

06 crf450r valves

So last night I checked my valves and my exhaust valves are within spec but my intake valves are supposed to be .006 and one is .002 inches and the other is .004 inches. Is this a big deal? Should I get them adjusted? Thanks

So last night I checked my valves and my exhaust valves are within spec but my intake valves are supposed to be .006 and one is .002 inches and the other is .004 inches. Is this a big deal? Should I get them adjusted? Thanks

adjust them yourself, it's ez

You can shim the valves to get by for the rest of this riding season, but you will need to get a valve job sooner than later....are you having issues starting it? If not, i am surprised.....i suggest racers er for the valve job, they do wonders with the crf head/valve issues....and are not way over priced......i know ron hamp here on TT does a great job too, he does a lot of pro/pro am stuff so i dont know how busy he would be

Check your shim thickness, if your intakes are down into the 1.60 range time for valves! Once it starts moving that far its on its way out.

What do you mean by 1.6 range is that in mm

Yes, the shims have sizes on them, if your intake shims are as thin as 1.60 mm then your valves are on their way to zeroing out (meaning soon you will need the thinnest shim and it wont be enough)

The stock intake valves are Titanium with a coating, this coating is what actually protects the valve from the seat material since it is quite agrressive, once this coating wears the Titanium is exposed and it rapidly wears and need to be changed.

When the valve wears it works its way closer to the cam requiring thinner and thinner shims to the point where it can no longer be adjusted.

Generally the shims in the intake side of the bike when new start around the 1.85 range and can be adjusted in .05 increments, once you get into the 1.60 range you know its really starting to wear, thats when it usually starts to fall out of adjustment within a few hours of riding especially at high rpms.

If you need a service manual i can send you one via email and you can print it out.....i print out the pages i need and by the time the work is done the pages are all greasy....you can pitch em and print out another set next time.....ride on!