Sign in to follow this  

Chain lube spraying

Where do you guys spray your chain when you lube it? I spray it below the slider and it splashes up against my linkage and gunk just builds up there. I was thinking about spraying it on the chain at the block but it'll just get on the wheels and build up gunk there. What do you guys do?

I guess i over do it. I spray for a good 5 seconds and i guess thats about 3 times around. I use the straw too but i chop it down to about 1 inch long so i can leave it in the tip of the can and still put the lid on.

• Like 1

Wd-40 is a water deterant . i spray right at the back of the rear sprocket any overspray using the straw gets on the very back of the swingarm and its easy to wipe it off there unlike linkage

Wd-40 is a water deterant . i spray right at the back of the rear sprocket any overspray using the straw gets on the very back of the swingarm and its easy to wipe it off there unlike linkage

That it is at first, but lets say you didnt ride it for a few weeks its going to look a little rusty.. So it seems like it absorbs moisture in the end.... but this is only is my past experiences 

I personally think wd-40 creates rust because it absorbs moisture, at least everything i put it on turns rusty after a little while. 

WD stands for water displacing it's not hydroponic   ( attracts water from the atmosphere )

hell it was used on the Altlas missiles to prevent surface rust

definable not the best lube  but works for Me on My chain AZ climate  way better than chain lube flinging everywhere

have not tried this

lube.jpg

Edited by Zimman

Amsoil Metal Protector heavy duty is my preference.. sprays a wax like film that displaces water (like WD-40) and dries in place.  Good stuff. 

Bike on stand, I turn the rear wheel and spray just below the chain slide underneath the swingarm.. this is the side of the chain that contacts the sprockets.  My father used to merely lube the top side of the chain, but that makes no sense.  Even if the difference is marginal in which side of the chain you lube, why would you not lube the inside of it which connects with the sprocket teeth?  That's what I do.

WD stands for water displacing it's not hydroponic   ( attracts water from the atmosphere )

hell it was used on the Altlas missiles to prevent surface rust

definable not the best lube  but works for Me on My chain AZ climate  way better than chain lube flinging everywhere

have not tried this

lube.jpg

Ok I got cha, the only thing I dont understand if whats the biggie about the lube slinging around I mean your going to get dirt all over the bike any ways and have to clean the chain off.... just saying

Ok I got cha, the only thing I dont understand if whats the biggie about the lube slinging around I mean your going to get dirt all over the bike any ways and have to clean the chain off.... just saying

Use wd-40 on your chain since new . just takes minimal effort to keep clean. Use chain lube and all it does it turn into a gummy black mess getting in all the links and wedging it self in the sprocket cavities

the chain lube  i have slings buggers all over and it's thick 

I am not alone  many guys use a light oil to keep just the exterior of the links protected and let the OEM grease trapped inside the o  -  x rings do it's job

also the gooy stuff I was using  held sand on the chain   that can't be good ?

I just sit the straw on the chain where it meets the rear sprocket then just spray and rotate the tire till its got one full rotation, thats all it needs and it gives perfect lubing

This is exactly what I do. Cleaning it well and doing this is perfect for me. Also, make sure the chain is warm when you apply lube: this will make it adhere better and prevent a lot of it from flinging off.

the chain lube  i have slings buggers all over and it's thick 

I am not alone  many guys use a light oil to keep just the exterior of the links protected and let the OEM grease trapped inside the o  -  x rings do it's job

also the gooy stuff I was using  held sand on the chain   that can't be good ?

Well even tho the sand or dirt has a easier time sticking to the chain with the heavy lube, still mud and dirt and dust and sand all can stick with lube or without. Its the off road world. oh and yall should get a chain brush makes it easy during clean up and quick if you dont have one

Well even tho the sand or dirt has a easier time sticking to the chain with the heavy lube, still mud and dirt and dust and sand all can stick with lube or without. Its the off road world. oh and yall should get a chain brush makes it easy during clean up and quick if you dont have one

we do have them but its easier cleaning scum off a wd-40 chain rather than a gummy waxy sticky lube 

last time I used a chain brush I had o rings fall out  

maybe the chain was old  but they fell out due to the action of the grunge brush  so I would rather keep on doing the wd and a wipe down with my 100$ x ring