Weird Electrical Glitch

Not really moto related but I know there are people in the know here so.....

My son has a 2000 Dodge Neon with a weird electrical problem. In hot weather he gets a no crank, no start. In the mornings it is OK. The car can sit and cool but won't start in the afternoon after the sun has been beating on it. The battery is new, alternator is putting out right at 13.9 volts with a/c and headlights on at idle. I scanned it and got no DTC's. My first thought is to replace the starter but I don't want to throw money at it $100 at a time until I get it right. Any body have this kind of problem with any type of car with a possible solution?

#1 verify all grounds are clean and tight.

#2 when I happens again, put the multimeter on the starter solenoid wire and check for proper voltage when you have someone turn the key. also put the mulitmeter on the battery + lead on the starter and have someone turn the key to check to make shure you have 12+ constantly. (making shure you don't have voltage drop)

The turnbolt in the ignition was broken. It must have been something goofy like heat inside the car expanding the aluminum shaft to where it slipped. Cold weather contracting it as well. Put a junkyard replacement in and is fine now. Parked in the sun in 100 degree weather today and it fired right up. It's the weirdest thing I've seen repairing my own cars in 40 years.