Sign in to follow this  

Silicone? Or NO silicone?

I just replaced right side casing,but re-used the outer cover/gasket. Cleaned it with brake cleaner(gasket) &used alil' felpro hi-tack sealant. It was fine for a couple rides,now it's leaking;just ordered&recieved new gasket....long story short-my question is should I use silicone when I install new gasket??or just clean it good&put the new gasket on??

I just replaced right side casing,but re-used the outer cover/gasket. Cleaned it with brake cleaner(gasket) &used alil' felpro hi-tack sealant. It was fine for a couple rides,now it's leaking;just ordered&recieved new gasket....long story short-my question is should I use silicone when I install new gasket??or just clean it good&put the new gasket on??

There should be no need for additional sealant when using an OEM gasket. As long as you patiently clean both aluminum surfaces you will be fine. Clutch covers use many bolts , so leakage past the gasket from inadequate bolting force is almost impossible, however if some hack hammered a screwdriver or chisel into the case to pry off the cover this could have damaged the gasket surface and a gasket will leak.

The guy who I got the bike from had stripped the the bolt threads at the clutch cover,but I've now replaced that inner casing,I replaced the clutch while I had it apart-I just cheap skated&didn't get that gasket. Not to mention I DID use sealant! Lol I'm gonna clean ot well& replace the gasket today. I still am in awe that the gasket was 20$!! Lmao ohwell, things we love aren't always cheap.

Thanx for the help fellas.

The hi-tack really does little more than hold the gasket in place until you get everything properly aligned, it doesn't provide a whole lot of sealing.  Using it with an old gasket won't magically seal the case to the cover.  The old gasket was soaked with oil and the hi-tack couldn't work properly in that situation.

If you use the hi-tack, make certain you follow the directions on the tube (it will tell you that it is meant to glue the gasket in place).  If you use an RTV compound instead of the gasket (which I do not recommend), again follow the directions on the tube.  In either case, you need to make certain that all sealing surfaces are clean and no nicks or gouges are present.  Proper torque for all of the bolts is also a must, avoid using the German torque method (Gudentite).

In my experience (helping lots of family and friends deal with leaks on cars and bikes) 95% of the time it is folks using the wrong product in the wrong application or hideously old product that leads to the leaks.

RTV = Don't use the gasket.

Hi-Tack = Use with a new gasket.

Old Gasket = Don't waste your time, get a new one or go with the proper RTV.

Edited by USED YZ426F