Sign in to follow this  

Chain lubrication

Hi, so, i havent had a bike for ery long (havent tode it all that much either) but, i was wondering about lubing the chain. Ive heard of lubing a o ring chain breaks down something put on there when it was made? There was a new chain put on my bike before i got it, so would this be an o ring chain, how could i tell? And, wht kind of chain lube should i use if i need to? Thanks!

No chain lube in the world will destroy an o-ring chain.. you an tell if it's a conventional chain or o-ring chain by looking where the different chain links connect, if they have small black rubber rings between the metal to metal contact points, it's o-ring.  

After riding I wash my bike, then immediately lube the chain on the bike stand.  Spray the chain on the lower side of the swingarm as the chain returns to the rear sprocket.  That lubes the side of the chain on its side that contacts the sprockets. 

And welcome to riding!!

Wd40,  I gave up on chain lubes.  Wd40 seems to work best.

Oring chains dont need spray on lube, it attracts dirt

regular chains lose it all in a lap anyways, and all it does is attract dirt.

wd40

Honda chain lube is so clean. It always looks clean. It washes,great,too. I recommend it highly. It's the cleanest I've ever used.

I wouldn't use WD-40 as the final lubricant.  If you wash the chain first then it might be alright to use WD-40 to displace the water.  I would wipe the excess WD-40 off though and then lube it with some chain lubricant. 

Or I should say I don't use WD-40 as the final lubricant even though it is advertised as a lubricant so it might do a fine job.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Honda chain lube is so clean. It always looks clean. It washes,great,too. I recommend it highly. It's the cleanest I've ever used.

Which one do you use? The one with Moly or White graphite? 

I use this stuff on both my street bike and the Suzuki. No mess and not expensive. Home Depot, Lowes., or Wally world.

0003612119183_500X500.jpg

dupont_teflon_lube.jpg

Edited by underbike

I heard somewhere that wd40 hurts a chain, is that true?

I wouldn't use it on a non o-ring chain, it displaces the grease already in the chain, if its o-ring then it doesn't matter

90 wt gear oil, under the swing arm. Once or twice around then done.

I've used Maxima Chain Wax for several years now. Stuff works great, doesn't wash off in creek crossings, doesn't attract or hold dirt and grit, chains (all o/x-ring) last longer than with any other chain lube I've used. 

One real looser chain lube that I tried was Bel Ray Superclean. That stuff is anything but. Gummed the links up, couldn't clean it even with kerosene, trashed the chain by half way through the can.

The Bell Ray chain wax is the same as the stuff on your chain when you get it new out of the box. Took them 10 years to make it. Not cheap but It's the Ducks Nuts.

I use Shell De-watering fluid when I finish washing the bike. Spin the wheel to get the excess off and your chain will be like brand new. Put some Bell Ray on it and It'll look brand new as well  :cool: .