Sign in to follow this  

Air filter oil

I just bought some DT1 air filters, cleaner, and oil. I know on the package it says there is some special filter base so you don't have to use grease around the rim of the filter. Im kind of worried though about not greasing it and dirt getting in the air boot. Do you still use grease? Also what is the best way to clean and oil the filters? Im used to the maxima stuff that you just spray on. Im not sure how to use this liquid stuff. Thanks for any help.

No toil, lithium grease on the rim, oxyclean for cleanup, zero issues, ever, including if I wash the filter in the kitchen sink.  Nobody cares!

• Like 1

No Toil.

I was a big skeptic of No Toil due to all the horror stories I read on TT. After using it for a whole summer I can easily say it's the best filter oil out there. I religiously change my filter and check the inside of my air boot for any kind of dirt and have yet to notice even the smallest grain. It does just as good of job as any other oil out there but with a added bonus of being 10x easier to clean.

NoToil fan here too

I've tried them all and settled on NoToil because it stops all dirt & dust just like all the others But because I can clean & reapply the stuff in the house with No odour that's why it's my favorite

the evo stuff is no diffrent. just takes longer to dry. i was sceptical about the green stuff, but after 15 filter cleans, i found no dirt in the boot.

There's two ways to use the liquid air filter oil...

1. Fill a container with the oil and submerge the filter in it and then pull it out and then gently massage the oil throughout the filter and wring the excess back into the container,keep doing it untill there is no dripping-this is considered over oiling your filter

2. Hold your filter over a container and then pour the filter oil over your air filter a little at a time and massage it through the filter,keep pouring and massaging untill you get even coverage inside and out

Plenty of videos on you tube on how to do it,I prefer to over oil and put up with a bit of oil left at the bottom of the air box from being slightly over oiled,I always grease the lip.As for cleaning I use kero to wash the filter and then fill a container with water and washing powder to give it a gentle clean then rinse through with water and dry.

Still wouldn't wash it down my sink drain.

Biodegradable and non toxic. It's ok to dump it in the sink, just FYI, and no clogs either.

• Like 1

Belray filter oil is super thick compared to others.  After the excess oil drains out, the surface of the filter is tackier to the touch with Belray than Silkolene.. there's something to be said for that. 

My experienceis that the the top brands of filter oils are all fine.. what makes the difference is cleaning the filter properly and thoroughly, cleaning it often enough (every ride), and not using gasoline.  Cleaning with gas breaks down the filter's integrity, and before you can visibly see it happening, the filter will lose its particle-trapping abilities. 

• Like 1

There's two ways to use the liquid air filter oil...

1. Fill a container with the oil and submerge the filter in it and then pull it out and then gently massage the oil throughout the filter and wring the excess back into the container,keep doing it untill there is no dripping-this is considered over oiling your filter

2. Hold your filter over a container and then pour the filter oil over your air filter a little at a time and massage it through the filter,keep pouring and massaging untill you get even coverage inside and out

Plenty of videos on you tube on how to do it,I prefer to over oil and put up with a bit of oil left at the bottom of the air box from being slightly over oiled,I always grease the lip.As for cleaning I use kero to wash the filter and then fill a container with water and washing powder to give it a gentle clean then rinse through with water and dr

You said you always grease the lip. Do you do that on DT1 filters or just filters in general? Thanks for the help.

I was using the red no toil oil and powder cleaner but the glue tore apart on my twin air filter. I thought it might be the alcohol in the oil or something. I liked how easy the no toil cleaned but I have since switched to belray. Any tips other than gas on how to clean belray?