Sign in to follow this  

Kawi bayou 400 cam chain messed up!

The wheeler was knocking very bad but the owner kept using it (it was the cam chain very loose) now both intake valves seem to be bent from excessive timing problems, the automatic adjuster is all the way out, guides are worn but look intact, is this a common problem for this rig? We will most likely end up with it so is it a good rig? Also the spline shaft coupling for the front driveshaft seems very sloppy.

Ok well idk if anybody on here is watching but I'm putting a new chain in and having the head done, also putting in a gasket set. I'm putting a oil pressure gauge in the head oil line (its 3/16 brake line size so I'm teeing off of it with a double flare tee), I can post pictures of the completed oil pressure gauge when I'm done. The common problem with this atv is they use oil and people forget to check it and run it out and blow the over head. I will post pictures of the atv when I get a chance!

• Like 2

Ok well I got the chain but still waiting on the gasket kit. When I put in the chain I noticed excessive crank end play and a smige on up and down too. The crank kinda clunks in and out like 1/8-1/4" and my spare motor with a blown over head and striped tranny does not have near as much end play. I'm going to stick it together and see what happens I think.

Ok well I got the chain but still waiting on the gasket kit. When I put in the chain I noticed excessive crank end play and a smige on up and down too. The crank kinda clunks in and out like 1/8-1/4" and my spare motor with a blown over head and striped tranny does not have near as much end play. I'm going to stick it together and see what happens I think.

Sounds bad. I wouldn't put it back together until you've inspected why the crank has some play in it. Sounds like something is bent. Post some pictures of it up.

Sounds bad. I wouldn't put it back together until you've inspected why the crank has some play in it. Sounds like something is bent. Post some pictures of it up.

nothing is bent, the crank is just sliding in the bearings.

For the end play its not that bad, I held a tape upto it and it only moves one of the little lines. I'm putting it together today so we will find out.

Runs beautiful now! I'm going to order some parts and finish it up. I love the way it runs, good power, quiet, smooth, lots of low end grunt. My fan thermal switch must be shot because I let the motor get to 212 (inferred lazier) and the fan never came on. I also need a head light bulb too. I'm going to replace the worn rocker arm now that I know it runs good.

Well its running mint. The temp light was messed up so I tied into the reverse light so if it gets hot it will light the reverse light and I can see the bulb is still good every time I put it in reverse.

Ok I have been working on my bayou and the clutch was slipping so I put the other one in (the disc/steel shift clutch) fixed that. I put my oil pressure gauge in and it runs 20psi cold at idle, 5psi hot at idle and like 25 psi revved up hot (about midrange rpm), is this ok???! I have to order another clutch cover gasket because I ripped the first one (while replacing the clutch). Please reply!!

I'm thinking the oil pressure should be fine backside the crank rides on 3 ball bearings and so does every thing in the tranny but the cam runs in the aluminum head bare.