Sign in to follow this  

Gas in oil, ticking sound

Well to make a long story short the crankcase on my drz flooded with gas after I let the bike sit with the petcock on. Now the bike makes a scary sounding tap from the top end and won't run without the choke. I flushed the motor with over a gallon of oil and it's still there, valves are all in spec and haven't budged a bit. What could this be? I was thinking maybe a wrist pin? It's more of a tap then a knock so I'm not sure. I wanna get this fixed as quick as possible before riding season is over but I'm short on cash so in gonna have to attempt to fix this myself. Heres a video of the noise if it helps

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

When was the last time you checked / adjusted the cam chain ?

When I built the motor less than 2000 miles ago. It's not the cam chain, it sounds like one single tap not like a chain rattle.

How would I know if the auto decomp is the culprit? I guess I should just remove it on principle. Like I said valves haven't moved a millimeter and the head was just rebuilt so I don't think it's valve noise.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

will do. i dont have a grinder but i think noble said you can stick the cam in a vise and just break the decomp off? is this safe or should i invest in a dremel? Monday between classes im gonna tear it down again, i guess if its not the decomp its something much more serious :banghead::foul:

I took mine to a machine shop, the mechanic cut the decomp in slices (like a cake) and then it was easy to break it off.

Anyway, if you got flooded that means also that your float valve is leaking as well as the petcock, and then don't expect the machine to run well.

I took mine to a machine shop, the mechanic cut the decomp in slices (like a cake) and then it was easy to break it off.

Anyway, if you got flooded that means also that your float valve is leaking as well as the petcock, and then don't expect the machine to run well.

yeah it was pissing gas around the time this all happened too, took it all apart and cleaned everything and no more overflow so im assuming that wont be an issue anymore.

Yes, but do consider doing the Raptor petcock mod, i did it, now I can let the engine run on off

till there's no gas left and no danger of flooding.

But wait...if it was pissing gas you must have a Keihin and not a Mikuni carb, so how come the flooding ? The Keihin has a gas drain,

so no flooding should be possible

Edited by michaelks

Stripped one of the hex head bolts for the cam cap, how do I get it off without damaging anything? I was gonna cut a slot for a flathead but I don't want metal shavings in my head

I'd be interested in how you stripped it in the first place... since those bolts aren't supposed to be torqued very high (6-7 ft-lbs). As far as removal it just depends on the situation, but I've had success with ez-outs. If not, then its either a lot of heat or drilling required.

I'd be interested in how you stripped it in the first place... since those bolts aren't supposed to be torqued very high (6-7 ft-lbs).

The monkey that built my head for me must not have been looking at the shop manual I gave him because these are way tighter than 6-7 ft-lbs. This is the main reason I like learning to work on my own bikes, I just don't trust other people. Oh well live and learn, I'll let you know how everything goes after work today.