Riding a bike in the sand dunes

Sand sucks power majorly.. so don't get a paddle tire until you bump up to at least a 100 cc two stroke I would think. 

To effectively ride sand, you have to carry a lot of speed to "stay on top" of it.. otherwise your front wheel digs a mini sized trench, and your rear wheel sinks further into the sand which robs you of much needed power. 

How old are you??  What year is your XR80?

Pin it!!!

Get a paddle tire that has the proper number of paddles for an 80. Clean your airfilter really good before and plan on cleaning it again in between riding to get the most power out of your bike.

Have fun!! I wish I was going to Pismo!

I've never been to the dunes but, I love virgin sand washes where thetes been enough rain or wind to delete all previous tracks ?. It's still great when people have ridden it and there's tracks in it but its not as great.

In either case just keep the throttle pinned... The bike will squirm around but that's just part of it.

Also you could tighten up your rebound dampening a few clicks for sand.

Last xmas I did my first real trip to the dunes.....Dumont Dunes.  The first few times I went up comp hill, going up was no problem but I was trying to go down way too slow.  As I first headed down the bike was way squirly so I was afraid to go fast.  This turned out to be a lot of work and completely the wrong way to do it.  I watched another bike do it and he went fast down and looked completely in control.  I tried going fast down and it felt so much better and way less work.

The point is that in the sand....go fast.  It's kind of like wake boarding or skiing.  If you are going slow you mush around and it's difficult.  You want to go fast enough to where you are floating on top of the sand.

Not sure if your bike will have enough power do that that effectively or not.  My 13yo son rides a CR85RB and had no issues but that bike has way more power than your XR80.

Another cool thing about the sand is that the sand hurts way less than dirt when you crash....unless you hit another vehicle!

A huge safety thing is to NEVER blindly go straight over the top of a dune without a spotter on top watching the far side.  Always approach the top at an angle so you can see the other side.  Check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A30JI4xC3sg