2013SX Stock Pipe Problems

I got my bike I believe back in May.  I told the story about another rider showing up at our local track with a new SX too.  During one of his motos, one the spring hooks welded to his pipe, pulled loose and left a gapping hole in the pipe.

I just noticed on my bike that there is a crack next to one of the spring hook welds, so I took that spring loose for now.  This past Thursday at our local night practice, a rider next to me with a 13SX, had to replace his pipe because one of the hooks pulled loose from the pipe.

Now I don't think it's an epidemic, but I think I may have an idea on what's going on.  A couple of weeks ago, I removed my pipe to give it a good cleaning and polishing.  I noticed that the springs tension is extremely tight.  Or at least compared to my Cr.  I was really shocked at the amount of pull it took to get the springs off and back on.  I'm sure to the engineers it was necessary, but I don't think so.  With that much tension, vibration, heating, cooling and anealing, the thin metal is getting fatigue and pulling loose. 

I've ridden my Cr with one spring for quite sometime with no problems.  In my opinion, that much tension is not necessary.  I'm going to order a Platinum pipe and R304 silencer next week.  Then I'm going to M&D Hardware, and get a couple of stainless springs with somewhere South of piano string tight.  All they do is hold the pipe inside the exhaust port, along with the 2 other mount bolts. 

Well, the pipe finally gave in today.  In the last moto of the 40A, I landed a big double and the exhaust got louder.  I pulled over and the crack next to the pull ring, went on and crack almost all the way around.  I'll probably brass it, and keep it for a spare.  Platinum pipe and R304 Monday.

Wait until Bajaj takes majority ownership of KTM ... watch the quality decline even more rapidly, as I HIGHLY doubt Bajaj auto has anywhere close to the same "business philosophy" as KTM.

Soon KTM will be majority ownership in India

Quote from India publication ...

"It is logical for Bajaj to take its stake in KTM to majority when they have already gone up to 47%. It was just a matter of time. Bajaj has always focussed on higher margins instead of just volumes, so this integration would make perfect sense. The question is if Bajaj will have to buy the shares from the promoter now," an analyst said"

See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/bajaj-auto-in-talks-to-pick-controlling-stake-in-ktm/1107460/#sthash.rl5hwHxn.dpuf

Wait until Bajaj takes majority ownership of KTM ... watch the quality decline even more rapidly, as I HIGHLY doubt Bajaj auto has anywhere close to the same "business philosophy" as KTM.

Soon KTM will be majority ownership in India

Quote from India publication ...

"It is logical for Bajaj to take its stake in KTM to majority when they have already gone up to 47%. It was just a matter of time. Bajaj has always focussed on higher margins instead of just volumes, so this integration would make perfect sense. The question is if Bajaj will have to buy the shares from the promoter now," an analyst said"

See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/bajaj-auto-in-talks-to-pick-controlling-stake-in-ktm/1107460/#sthash.rl5hwHxn.dpuf

"Higher Margins" - Hmmm, I'm no CEO, but that sounds like a plan for cutting corners.

Well, as I already knew, the Platinum in the chrome or raw version, and the R304 silencer is not available for a month or two from Pro Circuit.  Had my local dealer check with some vendors, but no luck.  So I went ahead and ordered the Platinum 2.  I'll run it for now, and when the other is available I'll keep the Platinum 2 for a spare.

I'll ride my ole CR until the pipe comes in Next week.  It looks like a rain out in most of Texas this weeknd anyway, as the warm moist left over tropical spinoff hits the approaching cold front.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

I should see it this coming Monday.  Sometimes I'll do a Wednesday day ride, a Thusday night ride, then a weekend ride.  Not sure what I can pull off, but as soon as I do get a ride with it, I'll post. 

This may actually work out for the better.  I'll get to test the Platinum2 and the Platinum.  I will likely end up with the Platinum because I want more upper rpm performance too.

• Like 1

I should see it this coming Monday.  Sometimes I'll do a Wednesday day ride, a Thusday night ride, then a weekend ride.  Not sure what I can pull off, but as soon as I do get a ride with it, I'll post. 

This may actually work out for the better.  I'll get to test the Platinum2 and the Platinum.  I will likely end up with the Platinum because I want more upper rpm performance too.

I hear ya. I've got a 12 250sx. Traded my 12 crf250r for it. I missed the 2stroke. But after riding a 4 stroke for a bit I miss the laziness of over rev. But Still like the 2 stroke. I ended up adding a flywheel weight to get the mid range to tame down on the hard packed here in GA. Hooks a lot better on the hard packed corners

• Like 1

Ok, the first thing I noticed, was the exhaust has a little crispier sound to it.  As far as any power differences, the Platinum 2 has about the same rpm range as the stock, but it has a little more power within that range.  I have the mild exhaust valve spring in place, and with the stock exhaust it's not a hard hit.  Even with the slight increase of the Platinum 2, it's still comes in very smooth with no suprise.

The track I rode on is my local track, and I ride it regularly.  There are a couple of heavy sandy sweepers, that if I don't loose any speed, I can stay in 4th gear and flattrack through them.  But if I booboo at all, I'll drop it to 3rd and moto on through.  With the Platinum 2, the low end of 4th had enough to plow on through even if I lost some entrance speed.

I'm going to ride on this pipe for a few weeks, and after I get 3rd quarter taxes paid, I'll get the Platinum and the R304 silencer when it's available.  I like the look of the Works pipe, but not the maintenance to keep that look. 

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED