Sign in to follow this  

Shipping Dirt Bikes

I had a bike that was stolen nearly 2 years ago on a riding trip with some college buddies.  I got a call today saying the local police had recovered it and the VIN checked out.  So, I can either drive ~12 hours to pick it up or possibly have it shipped.  For those that have had bikes shipped, roughly what did it cost to have bikes shipped halfway across the US?  Who did you go through?  How did you get it set up?  Was there anything special that you had to set up before hand (bike liquids, regulations, etc).  There will be an on-going investigation so hopefully I can have the shipping charges covered, but I'm more of a realist and am doubting that at the moment.  Trying to weigh my options, and yes, the bike is worth the costs and effort of recovering.  It's in worse shape than the last time I saw it, but I imagined a lot worse.  Police verified it "started right up".  Thanks!

Maybe call a bike shop and ask them. I think there are companies that only transport bikes.

It's nice that you're getting it back after so long.

600 bux, plus or minus a few. There are door to door type shippers, some better than others.  If you have the time, go pick it up. Cheaper.

K. That's what I'm finding for online quotes. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$700. So figure 1600 miles round trip, average of 17mpg with my truck, and gas around $3.70, so around $350 then add in a night at a hotel and other expenses. Comes out pretty close either way.

Edited by yz250f_spud

with those numbers, save your time and eat the difference. Have it shipped.

Lol get a buddy to help drive, you could get there and back in two days. Sleep in truck.

We drove from Ohio to Colorado and back in two days.

Crack Donalds $1 menu for food.

Where is the bike at now? Im in Ohio and will be headin west here this fall. Could possibly help you out.

It's around Charleston, WV.  Thanks for the offer beamer, I'll keep that in mind.  My buddy's bike was stolen the same time, so I'm hoping they can get some clues as to where his is at since they found mine.  Then it's a no-brainer, we would just drive down together.

you could make a weekend trip out of it. drive there on a friday night, pick it up saturday morning and find some places around there to ride. thats what i would do.

Try uship and get some offers that way

So that uship thing is real lol... thought it was fake cause of the tv lol

I had a bike that was stolen nearly 2 years ago on a riding trip with some college buddies.  I got a call today saying the local police had recovered it and the VIN checked out.  So, I can either drive ~12 hours to pick it up or possibly have it shipped.  For those that have had bikes shipped, roughly what did it cost to have bikes shipped halfway across the US?  Who did you go through?  How did you get it set up?  Was there anything special that you had to set up before hand (bike liquids, regulations, etc).  There will be an on-going investigation so hopefully I can have the shipping charges covered, but I'm more of a realist and am doubting that at the moment.  Trying to weigh my options, and yes, the bike is worth the costs and effort of recovering.  It's in worse shape than the last time I saw it, but I imagined a lot worse.  Police verified it "started right up".  Thanks!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear you got ur girl back... Im pretty close to Charleston wv, so you must be pretty far. IMO I would go in person so just incase there is any additional police info needed from you and make it easier. Also as a post says ^^^^^ take it for a ride you could go to hatfeild if its ridable

IMO I would go in person so just incase there is any additional police info needed from you and make it easier.

I thought about that too.  If there's anything else they need, or I want to report, it would be best to be there in person.

I thought about that too.  If there's anything else they need, or I want to report, it would be best to be there in person.

Yea any help makes the proccess way easier, and what happens if the police give the shipper a hard time ect ect. I would go in person, also a good old fashion handshake to the gentlemen that retrieved your bike is in need. :)

I was recently part of a relay for a rescue Great Dane.  Several people volunteered to transport this great dog across 3 states.  My part was about 4 1/2 hours of drive time.

Come on ThumperTalk!!  Let's get this guys bike back to him with a little relay action!!

I'll help getting it across Illinois!!

Edited by DrFeelGood
  • Like 1

I was recently part of a relay for a rescue Great Dane.  Several people volunteered to transport this great dog across 3 states.  My part was about 4 1/2 hours of drive time.

Come on ThumperTalk!!  Let's get this guys bike back to him with a little relay action!!

I'll help getting it across Illinois!!

Thanks for the support guys.  I'm still hoping the second bike will pop up and I'll make a little road trip.  

Call Wolverine Transport. http://www.wolverine.../introtest.html

Talk to Matt. Best price in USA. Enclosed trailer. Makes east coast to west coast in 2 week intervals.

I have shipped few dozen bikes with him. Best way to go. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Nice to have some first hand experience other than just random reviews on the company's website.

Edited by yz250f_spud