how fast can a honda xr650l go ?

I had an xr 650r, with expensive amounts motor work, wiseco piston, ported, camshaft pumper carb, full titanium acropovic exhaust etc, & it was a fast bike, maybe 120mph.

The acceleration improves loads, but top speed gets harder to get the faster you go.

On mine I had over 10K into mods on it/in it. I took it to an ole dirt airplane track that was 2 miles long. Me and some buddy's went to you around and race a bit. My one buddy seen is unloading and he's a cop he was on duty so we asked if he could speed check us with his radar gun. He sat about 1.5 miles down track and checked each of us. One guy had a 92 banshee that was junk and hit 87 mph. One guy had a 04yfz450 with tons of money dumped into it for a flat track quad. He hit 93mph. One guy had a 01 yz426 bone stock and hit 78mph. I ran the track with my ole' trusty XR and hit 136 mph. I felt like I was gonna die but boy was it a fun.

• Like 1

I’ve had the speedo pegged on my DR650, that’s 120mph, downhill with a strong wind at my back. But only once, and never again. At about 100mph strange things started to happen. These bikes are not designed for any kind of speeds like that. Doing it is a death wish.

• Like 1

I've never seen a stock XR650L make 110, around 95-100 seems to be the more "real world" top speed.  I regularly ride mine to work and back, 40 miles round trip, 16 of which is on the freeway.  WOT, I've seen 95, but the conditions had to be perfect, I typically average 85.  Mind you, this is at 5,000 feet altitude and I doubt my jetting is perfect, but dialing it in for every change of season here would be overkill, even in the winter, daytime highs can average 70 with lows in the teens at night.

I'd have to see one do 136 to believe it...

136... not possible

Fully modded, you might get 55 Hp, good for a real world 100~105 real MPH, with a tucked rider.

136 would require more like 80+ hp

If people are going to BS, I wish they'd at least make it theoretically possible.

I`ve had mine at 100mph...,confirmed by GPS....tonight....with14/48 gearing,no idea what the stock speedo showed,,it`s off at least 10mph though at that speed......,it is far from stock though..136 i`d find hard to believe..........

I had it at 110 mph with a 102mm XR600R 10.5-1 JE piston and stock gearing too 15/45.again confirmed by GPS...........i now have an 11.25-1 JE XR650L piston,porting,mega cycle cam and FMX650 fifth overdrive..........it`ll get there faster now,,but getting over 110mph isn`t going to happen easily it seems..i can gear up to 14/45 but i don`t think it`ll hit over 110mph...

I don`t do this often........it is kinda light at that speed and not alot of fun..

B

Edited by brianhare

136... not possible

Fully modded, you might get 55 Hp, good for a real world 100~105 real MPH, with a tucked rider.

136 would require more like 80+ hp

If people are going to BS, I wish they'd at least make it theoretically possible.

it happened man.. It Had a big bore stroker kit with full exhaust everything was lightweight and aftermarket. No extra parts what so ever. It was for flat track racing on a dirt track. When I hit 136 it was on a 2 mile slight downhill angle straight away at WFO the whole time. I don't have it anymore but my buddy(the cop who clocked me) may still have the video. Ill give him a call tomorrow. Stock it barely ever hit 95-100 not because i didn't want it to but it wouldn't. Had a cam a carb different valves shock, forks, aftermarket swingarm, rims, no plastics barely were on it and it had an aluminum small 1gallon gas tank. Was geared wayy down. It was faster then any 450 I've ever ridden. I'm not telling any BS. Ill see if he still has the video!

with most offroad bikes the limiting factor isnt the power, its the huge windsocks these things are, my old modded xr500[ for gravel] was lowered, had around 55hp, it would pull190kph with rider prone, my current xr650r [ highly modded mtr] will only do about the same topspeed, but... its about a foot higher, has airscoops[rads] motorcross hieght suspension, if it was put into a lower frame, i.e. nsr250, it would better 240kph

• Like 1