Sign in to follow this  

Not sure where all this "spooge" is coming from.

I have a 2002 yz 125 and I'm noticing alot of the spooge type stuff the comes out of your silencer, but it's on the front underside of my engine.

Here's a view of the water pump:

1379179332809.jpg

This is above the water pump:

1379179378420.jpg

And this is the under side of the engine:

1379179429491.jpg

I'm not sure where this is coming from as there is quite a bit of it after everytime I ride. I'm not seeing any cracks in the cases or anything.

It's most likely blowing past the exhaust orings where the pipe fits into the cylinder. Give the engine a good cleaning, then go ride and check that area. The only solution for excessive spooge is to lean out your jetting, or get more hard on the gas to burn up all the wet oil.

I agree with Polar-Bus on this one, you most likely have an exhaust leak... between the exhaust flange and the pipe there is 2 exhaust seals, replace them, $20 fix... then lean your jetting or get harder on the gas like Polar_Bus said... Yam P/N 5MV-14642-00-00 .

That looks like a seal in the power valve. I had the exact same thing. When I opened up the power valve, the seal was missing. Remove the PV side cover. If you have spooge in that area, its the seal and you'll have to remove the cylinder to get to it through the PV cover on the cylinder itself. At least that's how it is on my 96.

Get pipe o rings and disassemble top end remove and clean power valve...guarantee you need to do so ...you will notice a bit of response after pipe is sealed and power valve has been cleaned

I appreciate all the info! I was thinking it was the exhaust leaking, but just wanted some other opinions. I will check the exhaust first. And I am getting alot of spooge so how should I change my jetting?

I appreciate all the info! I was thinking it was the exhaust leaking, but just wanted some other opinions. I will check the exhaust first. And I am getting alot of spooge so how should I change my jetting?

leaning the jetting all depends on exactly where you're spending most of the time in the rpm range. Most beginner riders will lessen spooge by leaning the pilot jet one size, and leaning the needle one clip position.

I'd try leaning you're fuel ratio before messing with the carb....125s need riddin hot and hard higher rpm range rev it out here n there to clean it out ...also anywhere that black shit gets on clothes hands floor shoes carpet ect won't come out easy keep car cleaner handy and wear gloves stuffs bad for you!

As Polar bus says, check those O-rings.That bike will spooge badly if not jetted right. Stock the bike was jetted lean on top and fat on the bottom. Add a pipe and the bike needs to be richer on the pilot as well as the main. I also run the 2003 triple step stock needle. Run your oil as the manufacture says and all will be good. I have zero spooge.

It still surprises me how many people don't understand 2-stroke jetting.

More oil actually creates a leaner condition not richer. Oil fouling is another story. Ignore the oil ratio when jetting. Mix the oil per manufacturers specs.

If you want less spooge, evaluate your gas and your jetting. Many times excess spooge can be eliminated by larger jetting. The incremental increases and decreases in oil ratios have little effect on performance, not nearly as much as poor jetting.

Edited by dogfish

As Polar bus says, check those O-rings.That bike will spooge badly if not jetted right. Stock the bike was jetted lean on top and fat on the bottom. Add a pipe and the bike needs to be richer on the pilot as well as the main. I also run the 2003 triple step stock needle. Run your oil as the manufacture says and all will be good. I have zero spooge.

It still surprises me how many people don't understand 2-stroke jetting.

More oil actually creates a leaner condition not richer. Oil fouling is another story. Ignore the oil ratio when jetting. Mix the oil per manufacturers specs.

If you want less spooge, evaluate your gas and your jetting. Many times excess spooge can be eliminated by larger jetting. The incremental increases and decreases in oil ratios have little effect on performance, not nearly as much as poor jetting.

Worked on my yz 125 never had to touch the carb..only changed my ratio and ran an iridium ngk

This is how a 125 should be riddin ironic there jetting a yz in the background.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=jimmy%20d%20125&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHvv15Vn69AM&ei=Am81UvLkIIaeiALNu4HADw&usg=AFQjCNHHbBajGqVgaMWXQ_7VDKoyAt7qEw&bvm=bv.52164340,d.cGE

I'd try leaning you're fuel ratio before messing with the carb....125s need riddin hot and hard higher rpm range rev it out here n there to clean it out ...also anywhere that black shit gets on clothes hands floor shoes carpet ect won't come out easy keep car cleaner handy and wear gloves stuffs bad for you!

Leaning out the premix ratio will not lessen "spooge".

• Like 1

Spooge can be helped by a change in heat range of the plug. That's why your iridium plug worked.

Think about the mathematical % difference between running 32:1 vs say 40:1 its small.

proper heat range plug and having the proper octane fuel, as well as the correct jetting means everything.

Edited by dogfish

Spooge can be helped by a change in heat range of the plug. That's why your iridium plug worked.

Think about the mathematical % difference between running 32:1 vs say 40:1 its small.

proper heat range plug and having the proper octane fuel, as well as the correct jetting means everything.

Ok. I've been running 40:1 amsoil and I have an ngk plug. I have not messed with the jetting at all so it sounds like after I fix my "leaking" issue I will have to sort out the jetting as I know I am getting way too much spooge. Now I know nothing about jetting so would I start with the needle position or the main jet or pilot jet? Or do you have to change all of them accordingly?

Start with the main, then pilot and then fine tune the transition with the needle position.

Start with the main, then pilot and then fine tune the transition with the needle position.

You have the method backwards. You first establish a clean baseline pilot jet selection, then the main, lastly fine tune the needle if needed.

Swapping plug heat ranges to correct spooge is again a quick and incorrect "Band Aid" for overly rich jetting.

• Like 1

You have the method backwards. You first establish a clean baseline pilot jet selection, then the main, lastly fine tune the needle if needed.

I'll open my carb up tomorrow and see what size pilot jet I have in there.