Personal preference on silencers.

Hey guys, the previous owner of my bike made a shorty out of the original silencer and it looks pretty bad, as well as its too loud to race in the local HS series. I have the choice between either the pro circuit 304 silencer ($115) and the FMF power core 2 silencer ($125 full length). Which one do you guys prefer? The extra $10 doesn't matter to me.

I just purchased a low hr clean one owner '05 last week and have a similar problem. Ride local desert hare scrambles and one AMA ISDE where I need a spark arrester. Bike came with a Pro Circuit 304 that ill be taking off. Would offer it for $60 plus shipping if that helps you. I know I don't post on here much but happy to send you some pictures.

Ever considered a Leo Vince? It has a removable spark arrestor....

I like the Turbine Core 2 best myself with the Fatty pipe or the stock pipe. The Gnarly pipe was a little too focused on bottom end.

304 and powercore2 are similar to each other and are in competition with each other.

You would like either one.

Ever considered a Leo Vince? It has a removable spark arrestor....

I did look at them but they were also more expensive than the FMF or pro circuit. However, I found one listed for less than retail so that might be a possibility, I'll find out tomorrow when it comes time to order the rest of the things I need.

I don't work for Dennis Kirk but have found their prices to be the lowest on FMF or PC pipes/silencers. Pretty sure you meant the PC Factory Sound 304 and not the R304 Shorty. Any shorty will just be LOUD!

My Rm125 didn't get much louder with the FMF fatty/shorty combo.  That's the next combo i'm getting on my yz250 and I;m not expecting it to be too much louder either.  

Edited by DirtSmoker250

My Rm125 didn't get much louder with the FMF fatty/shorty combo. That's the next combo i'm getting on my yz250 and I;m not expecting it to be too much louder either.

My friend's yz125 with a freshly packed shorty was 98db, our race limit is 96

That sucks.

Another vote for the Leo Vince.  Quiet and the removable spark arrestor is a plus.  It's a pita to mount initially, but ended up fitting perfect.   $138.99

SANY0049_zps5053d147.jpg

Another vote for the Leo Vince. Quiet and the removable spark arrestor is a plus. It's a pita to mount initially, but ended up fitting perfect. $138.99

Posted Image

Wow that looks good :o

wow that is pretty, I would cut it down for mx use.

Very good looking silencer tho.

I run the ProCiruit Shorty and love it with the works Pipe.

I run the ProCiruit Shorty and love it with the works Pipe.

Basically in our series a shorty isn't an option, when I said 304 I meant the full length one, not the shorty. They are very strict about the sound tests.

Another vote for the Leo Vince.  Quiet and the removable spark arrestor is a plus.  It's a pita to mount initially, but ended up fitting perfect.   $138.99

SANY0049_zps5053d147.jpg

Looks like you trimmed you guard, that is what I did.

I don't remember everything involved, but I had to file into the fender a little so the rear bracket would mount straight.  Used some of the provided mounting hardware, some of my own and about an hours worth of on and off until it was right. Hard to believe they mounted one at the factory and were happy with it!

Other than that, it's a great product.

My Rm125 didn't get much louder with the FMF fatty/shorty combo.  That's the next combo i'm getting on my yz250 and I;m not expecting it to be too much louder either.  

If any 2 stroke doesn't get noticeably louder with a shorty silencer, I'd guess that the longer silencer simply was not packed properly, while the shorty was new and freshly packed.

Or It could be what your definition of noticeably louder is.

Noticeably louder was when I went from stock exhaust on DRZ to MRD/SSW on DRZ.   That was noticeably louder.

The shorty pipe maybe changed the exhaust note but I didn't think it was louder.

just a fyi, if you take a stock yz250 silencer and cut it to 10 inches it becomes a pc 304 clone. they both have the identical specs, same size perforated core etc. It stand the reason that the only thing that separates a stock silencer from a 304 is the length.