Tools for 200$

You will not need a specific tool set for a dirt bike. You just need a good quality socket set , spanners and maybe a hex key set etc. have a look in your workshop manual if you have one. Should be info in there about what tools you will need for basic maintenance . $200 should cover it. Cheers.

If your bike is a Japanese made bike you'll want an 8,10,12,14,17, and 22 mm wrenches and sockets plus a wrench for the rear wheel nut then whatever Allen's sizes you need and a hammer that should all come in around 100-200 just look at your local hardware store and see what they have, don't buy the cheapest tools but you don't need to spend huge cash on the "best" tools

You can get a good starter set of basic tools from Harbor Freight. I know a lot of people will bash their stuff, but I buy stuff there for gear bags in all my vehicles and have never had a failure. Some stuff like electric tools I wouldn't buy there for long term heavy use, but wrenches, sockets, and similar tools all seem to be fine. 

• Like 1

allens screw drivers picks rubber mallets steel tipped dead blow, pry bars torque wrench good plier set socket set.
i've got mostly matco stuff, i will say if you're willing to spend some extra get a cordless impact gun, best 150 dollars i ever spent as a tech.
i find i use most though
1. good set of combo wrenches (One big enough for the steering head nut)

2. good metric socket set with a socket for the rear wheel and front

3. good quality breaker bar and ratchets.
4. good screwdriver set.

5. set of allen sockets

6. GOOD torque wrench, i cant stress that enough.
all the stuff i just listed go to your local sears and pickup. all hammers and stuff thats going to be used to pry and hit, buy at harbor freight.

also watch your local goodwill, i got a snapon compresion tester brand new for 20 bucks found an old snapon carry box that i use for race for 25 bucks.

A budget tool set for maintaining a dirt bike should be interesting.

A basic 3/8 metric socket set from Lowes is a good place to start. Their Kobalt brand is guaranteed forever with a true no hassle replacement policy. You want at least 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 mm sockets. Get a kit that comes with the ratchet, sockets and an extender. You want the same sizes in wrenches, too, and set of metric Allen wrenches will come in handy.

You will also want two torque wrenches, one for inch-pounds and one for foot-pounds. Harbor freight has these as cheap as they come, but Lowes has them, too. For the tolerances you need to work with, either brand will do just fine. You have a lot of stuff that needs proper torque, so don't pass on those wrenches. If your inch-pound torque wrench is 1/4 inch, just get a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. Then you can use your 3/8 sockets.

Of corse you will need screwdrivers, and Kobalt is a good choice for those, too. Same with a set of pliers and adjustable wrenches.

You will need feeler gauges for checking valve clearances if you are maintaining a 4T. A tire pressure gauge. Circlip pliers come in handy.

The best tool you can buy is a shop manual, because that will help you do more of your own work, which will save you labor costs, which will make it easier to afford more tools, like bearing pullers, case splitters, flywheel pullers, and other stuff.

Like I said, Kobalt is good for the guarantee, just like Husky (Home Depot) and Craftsman (Sears). I picked Kobalt because the brand in general has performed well for me despite a fair amount of abuse.

I think you can get all of the above on your budget. That will get you started and allow you to do plenty of your own work.

Something like this is what your looking for.. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-154-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00937154000P?prdNo=24&blockNo=24&blockType=G24. Should have about enough left over of your $200 (might have to add another $10-$20) to get a good 3/8 drive torque wrench too. As time goes by you'll have to get a larger socket for your rear axle nut, but most everything else you would need to do regular maintenance on any bike should be in the tool kit.

• Like 1

The thing with tools is... You can never have enough. You can start with $200, but building will go on forever. I wrenched for Caterpillar for a dozen years and have $25,000 - $30,000 in tools and I occasionally still find things I need.

The good thing about them is rarely do they wear out so you can use them forever.

• Like 2

The thing with tools is... You can never have enough. You can start with $200, but building will go on forever. I wrenched for Caterpillar for a dozen years and have $25,000 - $30,000 in tools and I occasionally still find things I need.

The good thing about them is rarely do they wear out so you can use them forever.

^ plus 1. i fully agree you can never have too many tools. i can always justify spending 50-100 dollars on a handfull of tools any time.

and spoons, harbor freight has some really really really good ones, they're big, but man do they get the job done like a badass

Metric sockets, allen keys, screwdrivers, toolboxes, torque wrenches, there's a lot to buy and it costs a lot, personally I've never had good luck with kobalt, I've had a bunch of their ratchets just explode apart on me, and just on specialty tools alone I've spent 200$ and plan on getting more, my dads always said "you'll be buying tools your whole life. Get used to it" its always the most un-fun necessary purchase, I also get a lot of tools for christmas, have since I was 4, now I'm 16, and I've got more tools than most already, thanks padre ?

Metric sockets, allen keys, screwdrivers, toolboxes, torque wrenches, there's a lot to buy and it costs a lot, personally I've never had good luck with kobalt, I've had a bunch of their ratchets just explode apart on me, and just on specialty tools alone I've spent 200$ and plan on getting more, my dads always said "you'll be buying tools your whole life. Get used to it" its always the most un-fun necessary purchase, I also get a lot of tools for christmas, have since I was 4, now I'm 16, and I've got more tools than most already, thanks padre ?

man how is buying tools not fun for you? i get giddy everytime i see the matco truck! ?

• Like 2

man how is buying tools not fun for you? i get giddy everytime i see the matco truck! ?

Sadly its true.

I paid them $350.00 today

Turned around and bought another $100.00 creeper before I left. Lol

It would be the worst job I could have, to be a tool man.

I would try to keep them all. Lmbo.