Sign in to follow this  

04 250 throttle sticking help

I have a 04 rm250 that I have been having problems with the throttle sticking lately. When I first got it I put a new throttle tube, motion pro cable, and a #8 slide. No problems for first 20 or so hrs. Blew it up so after the rebuild the throttle has stuck 4 times. Replaced cable with oem, due to some fraying at the top motor mount, and it still sticks. Carb has also been sonic cleaned and am good on changing filters. Have tried everything with the bike on the stand and nothing. Really at a loss here and would appreciate some ideas.

Bike was previous gncc bike Fred Anderson back in the day so it has hours on it but has been completely rebuilt, is it possible the needle is getting stuck or the slide is somehow getting jammed? The slide that came out had a lot of the chrome wore off that's why the 8 slide is in it now.

Thanks

Could it possibly be the needle or slide getting stuck under WOT? All 4 times have been at full throttle, and this bike has worn parts that I never thought was possible so just trying to figure it out. Also last time it happened I had a small hose clamp on the top carb boot.  Thanks!

If the needle is even slightly bent it could be hanging up on the main jet and sticking. Also are all the breather hoses in place? If water gets into the carb through their moles then the slide will stick too, Finally, as the chrome was worn off the slide then there must be some wear to the carb body too that could be causing this 

Thanks for your reply, I think it might be time for a new carb as this is really baffling me. Has anybody tried a lectron or a smart carb on their RM's? Or has anybody ever bought this http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=158&cat=3&page=1 and just left the tps and power jet unhooked? 229$ seems like an extremely good deal for a new keihn and it comes with the jet kit installed. Thanks!

Hey, Mtu,,I have a 04 RM 250 also and I had the same problem as You about three Years ago,,it stuck at full throttle and almost killed Me a couple of times,,,,it turned out to be that the throttle cable slack was to loose and it jumped out of the barrel that it was supposed to seat in,,the outside throttle cable casing adjustment wasn't tight enough,,and I also zip-tied and applied some silicone sealant to the dust boots at both ends,,,,,never had trouble with that again,,,,,if Your carb is showing wear like tim mentioned, You should get a new carb,,but if it isn't take a look at that cable real close.....good luck.........Dr.D..

Well when it first happened I thought that maybe it was to tight, so I put some slack in it, but it is adjusted according to the manual. And it also looks like the cable goes outside of the top motor mount? I've looked at that mulitple times and thats the best I can do. Im still sticking with a worn out carb, like I said this was an ex gncc bike and there are things on this bike that I have replaced that I never would've thought could wear like they did. I'm gonna get a new carb though, I like the bike to much and have put so many hours into it just to sell it off and start over with another under maintained bike. 

Well when it first happened I thought that maybe it was to tight, so I put some slack in it, but it is adjusted according to the manual. And it also looks like the cable goes outside of the top motor mount? I've looked at that mulitple times and thats the best I can do. Im still sticking with a worn out carb, like I said this was an ex gncc bike and there are things on this bike that I have replaced that I never would've thought could wear like they did. I'm gonna get a new carb though, I like the bike to much and have put so many hours into it just to sell it off and start over with another under maintained bike.

no further explanation needed. ex gncc bike say no more, a used arena cross bike is one thing, but a gncc bike takes ALOT of love to make reliable again... hats off to you however for making it such! (pretty much!)

Don't give up,,just buy the new carb and enjoy a good running bike,,,good luck Bubba.........Dr.D..

Are you sure it's the throttle hanging up somewhere, and not an air leak? It happened to me once going off a jump. It hurt. Never did find why the throttle stuck. Found out a couple weeks later when it happened again. It ate the stator side crank seal, and bearing

I just replaced the crank and all the seals about 15 hrs ago on it, i would hope it isn't the seal but i'll check. Thanks