Black header

Hi,

So i have a pretty much stock cr85. It has an fmf shorty on it, no clue with the header. Header may be stock, but its black, nit painted, it doesnt feel like metal but more like a very hard platic or fiberglass, and it looks like 2 halves are welded together. Is this just something to cover the shiny header beneat, or is this the header? If its the first, whats the benefits of leaving it on and taking it off, and how do i take it off? Thanks!

Hi,

So i have a pretty much stock cr85. It has an fmf shorty on it, no clue with the header. Header may be stock, but its black, nit painted, it doesnt feel like metal but more like a very hard platic or fiberglass, and it looks like 2 halves are welded together. Is this just something to cover the shiny header beneat, or is this the header? If its the first, whats the benefits of leaving it on and taking it off, and how do i take it off? Thanks!

its the stock pipe

But is it covered with something, can i take the black thing off? Or do i need to get a new pipe to get that?

But is it covered with something, can i take the black thing off? Or do i need to get a new pipe to get that?

its just high temp paint and don't bother with aftermarket pipes unless yours is smashed up good

Oh ok, i didnt think that was what it was before, as theres a weld bead right over the top, it looks like 2 pieces, as where the header curves to connect with the exhaust port, it has a ridge that make it look like its 2 pieces together. Actually, the more i think about it the more im sure it is a covering. Pipes dont have weld beads as prominent as this is, they are ground out, and they dont have the ridge, theyre all smooth. I think its high temp paint on the cover, but am i able to take the cover off?

Oh ok, i didnt think that was what it was before, as theres a weld bead right over the top, it looks like 2 pieces, as where the header curves to connect with the exhaust port, it has a ridge that make it look like its 2 pieces together. Actually, the more i think about it the more im sure it is a covering. Pipes dont have weld beads as prominent as this is, they are ground out, and they dont have the ridge, theyre all smooth. I think its high temp paint on the cover, but am i able to take the cover off?

it's the stock pipe they're like that there's not a cover or anything it's metal and paint do you have pictures of your bike?

Oh ok, just as you can see the ridge on the pipe, i just didnt

Get why they wouldnt make it all smooth if its metal, id think it would be less prone to failer that way

because the lip is alot more cost and time efficent to weld then a smooth surface is. its also the by-product of the part being stamp pressed out.

I think they call it pinch welding or fused together I forget

Oh ok, what would the pipe be made of, just normal aluminum or whatever they use on aftermarket shiny pipes? If so, would i be able to remove the paint to have the shiny metalic pipe beneath? Thanks!

Oh ok, what would the pipe be made of, just normal aluminum or whatever they use on aftermarket shiny pipes? If so, would i be able to remove the paint to have the shiny metalic pipe beneath? Thanks!

its made of metal and no it would be bare metal and you would have to polish it but I wouldn't unless you have an unlimited supply of wd 40 and polish because as soon as it gets wet for awhile it'll rust like crazy and you will hate it so in my opinion I wouldn't do it. And the stock pipe is the best performing pipe for your bike. Also aftermarket pipes that are "shiny" are nickel plated like mine or chrome. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379283165.084381.jpg

Oh ok, im not going to take the paint of then, but is it possible to get it plated? How and what would the price be about if so?

And i always thought that a aftermarket header like a fatty or a gold serie would make it preform a ton better, but, since the stock ones the best, i dont plan on replacing it unless it gets banged up too much.

Thanks!

Oh ok, im not going to take the paint of then, but is it possible to get it plated? How and what would the price be about if so?

And i always thought that a aftermarket header like a fatty or a gold serie would make it preform a ton better, but, since the stock ones the best, i dont plan on replacing it unless it gets banged up too much.

Thanks!

not quite sure about pricing but i think its fairly pricey but you could get it like a chrome powder coat for pretty cheap.

Oh, where would i get that probably, would i send it to some place to have them do it?

Just chill out. Ride the Damn thing.

Sorry i care about my bike, and want to do stuff to it, so &%$#@! off

how is putting on a shiny pipe caring for your bike? are you mexican...because then this all would come together.

god &%$#@! im getting band for that arnt i?

yes, &%$#@!

god &%$#@! im getting band for that arnt i?

filepicker-sUCZIgDHQTKreXrg0RxL_ain-t-no

Sorry i care about my bike, and want to do stuff to it, so &%$#@! off

Sooooooo, you take every dime you would've spent on the chrome plating, and put it towards maintenence items, not making your pipe shiny, I hate black headers as much as the next guy, but id never go past just wire wheeling it off and having a raw metal pipe