Sign in to follow this  

street legal

In CA, golden fairy dust will do the trick! If you dont have any, rub your genie bottle. Good Luck. Does the bike have a 16 digit vin?

Buy a trashed XT frame for the VIN?  (and while Ick is being a smart ***, he's being straight too.  LOL) 

Edited by MindBlower

California ended dual sport conversions in something like 2003.  You can establish residancy in another state and register the bike there.  After putting a certain number of miles on the bike (7000) you may be able to transfer the title.  There are also special build permits available but those all sell by January 2nd and are pretty much impossible to get.

The answers you've gotten so far are wrong.  You can plate a TT in California.

I have a Street Legal '76 TT500-C.  I had the $500 Baja Designs Kit put on it about three months ago.  The Kit had Headlight, Directional Lights, Stop and Taillights, Horn.  It even has a key (kill button) switch.  But no mirrors.  I found two mirrors at a bicycle shop.  The mirrors are bad.  So I'm still looking for mirrors.

Dave's Adventure Cycle, 531 Kansas Ave Suite D Modesto, California 95351 did the installation, labor was about $200.  Chris, their mechanic did the install and signed the DMV certificate.  I took that certificate and my off road pink slip to DMV and 15 minutes later walked out with a plate.  No DMV inspection was needed.

You should pick up a XT500 rear wheel for the cush drive.  The TT doesn't need it for off-road riding but riding on the street is very hard on the TT500's driveline, transmission gears, both sprockets and the chain.  Consider that cush drive a MUST!  The XT also has bigger brakes than the TT, front and rear.  I ride it on the street 5 or 6 days a week, 200+ miles a week.  I change the gearing from 14/50 to 16/43.  I'll TT wheels and keep the knobbies for the woods.  And for the street, I'll run the XT wheels and Heidenau K60 Scout Dual Sport tires.  

I new to Thumper Talk, so I'm not sure how to add photos.  If I am able to add any, I'll show you my TT. 

I have a '80 XS650 that I'm selling. The TT500 is my street ride now  It's 200lb+ lighter than the EX650, and is more enjoyable on the street.

How in the hell can Cali plate a dirt bike and at the same time impound/revoke plates on bikes that werent street legal to begin with due to some dumb emissions rules? Soon, you guys have to register weed whackers! Your government officials smoke too much medical maryjane!

Edited by ickfinger

Trying to make sense of Government Laws, Rules or Regulations is an brain numbing prospect.  I was surprised too.  They not only plated it but gave me a vanity plate.  "TT500C."

How in the hell can Cali plate a dirt bike and at the same time impound/revoke plates on bikes that werent street legal to begin with due to some dumb emissions rules? Soon, you guys have to register weed whackers! Your government officials smoke too much medical maryjane!

the ease/difficulty of road registering a motorcycle in CA has a lot more to do with the age of the vehicle than anything else. 

70s bikes, pre 17 digit vin, were never difficult in CA. it's the modern stuff like XRRs with 17 digit VINs and "Off Road Use Only" titles that get pulled or are difficult. 

the other method that works (worked) well is Vermont. no residency needed to register/plate. that's how i did my KX in CA. got road registration & plate from Vermont, took that to the CA DMV and got a new title/registration/plate. wala... ripping around the street on a completely impractical bike for 5 years. it was awesome. (the owner after me did get the plate pulled, for what it's worth)

The answers you've gotten so far are wrong.  You can plate a TT in California.

I have a Street Legal '76 TT500-C.  I had the $500 Baja Designs Kit put on it about three months ago.  The Kit had Headlight, Directional Lights, Stop and Taillights, Horn.  It even has a key (kill button) switch.  But no mirrors.  I found two mirrors at a bicycle shop.  The mirrors are bad.  So I'm still looking for mirrors.

Dave's Adventure Cycle, 531 Kansas Ave Suite D Modesto, California 95351 did the installation, labor was about $200.  Chris, their mechanic did the install and signed the DMV certificate.  I took that certificate and my off road pink slip to DMV and 15 minutes later walked out with a plate.  No DMV inspection was needed.

You should pick up a XT500 rear wheel for the cush drive.  The TT doesn't need it for off-road riding but riding on the street is very hard on the TT500's driveline, transmission gears, both sprockets and the chain.  Consider that cush drive a MUST!  The XT also has bigger brakes than the TT, front and rear.  I ride it on the street 5 or 6 days a week, 200+ miles a week.  I change the gearing from 14/50 to 16/43.  I'll TT wheels and keep the knobbies for the woods.  And for the street, I'll run the XT wheels and Heidenau K60 Scout Dual Sport tires.  

I new to Thumper Talk, so I'm not sure how to add photos.  If I am able to add any, I'll show you my TT. 

I have a '80 XS650 that I'm selling. The TT500 is my street ride now  It's 200lb+ lighter than the EX650, and is more enjoyable on the street.

There's a guy on Ebay that sells really nice, useful mirrors. (good quality and proper convex/concave, whatever it is)

They ship from Tawain or someplace overseas, but delivery time wasn't  bad.  Oh and CHEAP too.  $25ish a pair.  

dhallilama mentioned plating out of state.  There is a rider in our town that did that with a KTM 300 originally registered in Colorado .  A two stroke dirt bike.  He doesn't ride it around town, he keeps a low profile, but he can go places in the Sierras that are closed to off road stickered bikes.  He has already renewed his plated KTM and received the 2014 tags.  Talk to guys that are seriously into Dual Sport, TAT rides and you may discover a way to get it done.  That KTM could probably sell for $5K because it's been plated for two years.

dhallilama mentioned plating out of state.  There is a rider in our town that did that with a KTM 300 originally registered in Colorado .  A two stroke dirt bike.  He doesn't ride it around town, he keeps a low profile, but he can go places in the Sierras that are closed to off road stickered bikes.  He has already renewed his plated KTM and received the 2014 tags.  Talk to guys that are seriously into Dual Sport, TAT rides and you may discover a way to get it done.  That KTM could probably sell for $5K because it's been plated for two years.

i've had 6 or 7 plated 2 strokes a XR600R in CA, all doing the out of state method. none of my stuff was under 10 years old or so, which could have something to do with the good luck, but i never had a problem riding around with other state plates.  i also tend not to ride like a loon, keep a pretty low-ish profile, etc.  re-registering in CA was never a problem for any of them either.  that being said, i moved the hell out of CA 8 years ago to the next state up.  now i roll around here with out of state plates :D

dhallilama Great riding in "the next state up."  I'm planning a solo Dual Sport type in that state next year.  I'm looking for USFS trails, back roads etc.  At my age my balance and reflexes are not what they use to be to ride the type trails I rode in the 60s, 70s and 80's.  I don't talk about it much, my kids are concerned about senility.  I'd like to stay between I-5 and the coast, but will likely need some highway to connect to the good, dirty (muddy) stuff.