Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Bearings

You guys are killing me,about not to repack bearings.please let it rest.You repack the bearings,they last ten times longer then little grease.The bike as new from Honda comes with almost no grease,on steering head bearings,also almost no grease on swing arm bearing.So Honda knows what there doing.Also on bad valves on many years CR250/450r-x.Honda know what there doing.Yes the do know how to sell parts.Ask some one that does tours on dirt bikes,They have alot of info.BTR

The only things I have learned from this thread:

Facts don't matter

Honda engineers don't know what they are doing

All bearings ever made are all the same except if they are "china" bearings

If you repack bearings they last for a million years

If you don't repack bearings they also last for a million years, unless you are an old timer and then they fail immediately (b/c honda designed them that way)

All greases are the same

You need to use lots of grease otherwise it doesn't work (might as well fill your engine oil till it comes out dipstick too)

Grease is a magical solution which keeps dirt out of your bearing even after you've destroyed the seals by removing them 15 times with a dirty garage dental pick

Seals don't need to be replaced after you remove them.

Steering head bearings don't have no grease (hmm, I wonder why???)

Old timers get very grumpy when you criticize them and don't have a sense of humor

HOWEVER I have come up with the solution to the problem the poor guy from Wales had: Get a dehumidifer!

Edited by mudguy

This thread is pure gold.  Haven't had as good a laugh on TT in years :)

As for the OP's issue. 

you will put the wheels in the bike, no play in the bearings one or two rides and there gone ( not that that's all the day outs the bearings of done, might of used them for a couple of months and then they have sat in the shed for a couple of weeks)

Since nobody asked, are the bearings going on both front and rear wheels or just the rear?  If just the rear, are you relying on the snail adjusters to align the wheel?  If yes to both, I'm guessing the wheel isn't aligned correctly, causing premature failure.

Just throwing this out there to make sure all bases are covered.  Otherwise, on with the circus ;)

This thread is pure gold.  Haven't had as good a laugh on TT in years :)

As for the OP's issue. 

Since nobody asked, are the bearings going on both front and rear wheels or just the rear?  If just the rear, are you relying on the snail adjusters to align the wheel?  If yes to both, I'm guessing the wheel isn't aligned correctly, causing premature failure.

Just throwing this out there to make sure all bases are covered.  Otherwise, on with the circus ;)

Hi

Yes it happens to both wheels, mind it was MOT'd last week where they check wheel alignment and it's spot on, the main problem I think it just water getting into the bearings then they sit for a while, most probably put a rust spot in the race and when I use them again it causes the play. 

What I will do the next time the bearing goes is take the seals out and wash the bearing out and see what I can see.

But as you say I didn't expect some of the banter all about wheel bearings.

If water is getting into your bearing, one thing to check is the spacer that fits inside the seal.  If this is rough, it will wear the seal and allow water to enter.  This is also true for any shaft that goes through a seal.  A rough surface on a shaft can also cause oil to leak from your engine.  

If the surface is rough, you should clean and polish the surface where it contacts the seal or replace the part.  Also inspect new parts and polish accordingly.