Sign in to follow this  

'02 CRF450R missing oil

I did an oil change with filter 2 weeks ago and everything was gravy, sitting right where it was supposed to be. Today when I was getting ready for the track I noticed that the level in the sight glass was sitting a tad low (sitting closer to the low line rather than dead nuts center), after lunch there was nothing in the sight glass, 45 minutes should have been PLENTY of time for the oil to drain back down. I split the cases and did a rebuild right after I bought it a year and 1/2 ago since the owner hadn't done it at all (about 4 years), 3 months ago I replaced the valves with SS and shimmed them to spec. I have only been riding it on on the track and racing once or twice a month since March and am fully aware that track riding puts more stress and wear and tear on a motor but I find it hard to believe that an entry level racer could cut more than 1/2 of the life off an engine. No leaks anywhere, no smoke, no loss of power that I could tell with how slick it was, no loss of compression, still fires first full kick. Any thoughts?

I did an oil change with filter 2 weeks ago and everything was gravy, sitting right where it was supposed to be. Today when I was getting ready for the track I noticed that the level in the sight glass was sitting a tad low (sitting closer to the low line rather than dead nuts center), after lunch there was nothing in the sight glass, 45 minutes should have been PLENTY of time for the oil to drain back down. I split the cases and did a rebuild right after I bought it a year and 1/2 ago since the owner hadn't done it at all (about 4 years), 3 months ago I replaced the valves with SS and shimmed them to spec. I have only been riding it on on the track and racing once or twice a month since March and am fully aware that track riding puts more stress and wear and tear on a motor but I find it hard to believe that an entry level racer could cut more than 1/2 of the life off an engine. No leaks anywhere, no smoke, no loss of power that I could tell with how slick it was, no loss of compression, still fires first full kick. Any thoughts?

Oil migration (do a search on it) but its likely your seal allowing the oil to migrate from the motor side to the trans side, check your oil in the trans and I bet its extra high!

Exactly.

Drain you trans oil and measure it. 

If it's too much (assuming you know exactly how much you put in) you have the migration issue, which has been addressed in several dozen posts, so do a search.

The site glass is not accurate, and, you are supposed to read it 3 min after shutting of a hot engine, not 45.

The glass shows a 25% capacity change from the low to high marks.