CRF450R 13 with Showa fork

Hey hey

I have crf450r 13 with crf250r 13 fork. The previous owner had different valving, springs etc, and mechanic installed all the stock stuff back, so forks SHOULD be all stock.

The problem I have with the fork, is that they feel very harsh on landings, braking bumps, basically everything that is hitting my forks fast. On round edged bumps and in sand, it feels good. On landings I´m not sure if they bottom too easily, because I have bottomed them only once. Forks are just not confidence inspiring to jump far, and go fast on rough terrain..
I have asked around, if the stock springs (.46) is good for me. Race Tech told me they suggest .44, local tuner told me stock is good, but maybe have to go spring rate softer. But reading around I would put 0.48 in, and I don´t feel like going softer, more like harder spring and blusher valving, with faster and softer initial stroke. So what you guys think is good and has to be done to achieve that feeling?

Weight w.o gear 185 lbs
Beginner
Motocross

I´m thinking of buying Race Tech Gold Valve kit (comp), softer pressure springs ( 1.8???), and right springs.
Also I tried to measure fork sag, and I got only 40 mm of sag. I know it is not right. I would think that stock Showas would sag more.

What you guys think what is wrong? Maybe mechanic did something wrong putting them together? What springs I need?
All info highly anticipated!!!

Edited by sandman1111

maybe stiction holds the fork up....try cleaning it and apply some silicon lube to get static reading correctly if you didnt do this already!!

i dont believe you need changing with goldvalves!!! just a revalve for you!!!

is this showa 48?

Edited by wblake

maybe stiction holds the fork up....try cleaning it and apply some silicon lube to get static reading correctly if you didnt do this already!!

i dont believe you need changing with goldvalves!!! just a revalve for you!!!

is this showa 48?

Yes fork is 48 mm. No I did not lube or clean anything. If you say just re valve. I´m not that smart to know what to change without instructions, like Race Tech kits come with.

Yes fork is 48 mm. No I did not lube or clean anything. If you say just re valve. I´m not that smart to know what to change without instructions, like Race Tech kits come with.

You can get instructions from here!! If you can measure shims and feel confident to work on you stuff like installing the gold valves you may as well do the revalve! Crf450 forum has some very knowledgeable people on suspension...or at least made me think so ?

Edited by wblake

You can get instructions from here!! If you can measure shims and feel confident to work on you stuff like installing the gold valves you may as well do the revalve! Crf450 forum has some very knowledgeable people on suspension...or at least made think so ?

Yes I´m confident I can work on my own stuff. Only things I need are shims and instructions where and what I have to change to make my forks better.

I have decided, that I´ll change my springs before I start to mess with valves. 

I would still like to hear more opinions, what fork springs would be good for me.

So far I have asked
Race Tech - .44
Smartshop racing - .46 or maybe .45
Mx-tech - .50
Smartperformance - min .47 max .49
Enzo- no answer
Factory connections- no answer

They are all damn different :/. What would be good?

I have decided, that I´ll change my springs before I start to mess with valves. 

I would still like to hear more opinions, what fork springs would be good for me.

So far I have asked

Race Tech - .44

Smartshop racing - .46 or maybe .45

Mx-tech - .50

Smartperformance - min .47 max .49

Enzo- no answer

Factory connections- no answer

They are all damn different :/. What would be good?

Personally I would go with the .50s, in all my years of suspension work I've always found that going stiffer than what you think or is recommednded is better than going softer.

I run 48s in my cr250 and im 205 lbs you are on the cusp thats why you are getting different numbers. you can run two different springs like some have mentioned.. I think .47-.48 is probally close and you can always toss a .44 back in to make .46, with the .48 id run 350cc of oil and even with stock valving they will feel a little stiffer until you can change it.. but it should take the midstroke harshness away. and it might be a tad plusher initially.

I broke Fork Comp/Rebound rod from where the nut is. No idea if it´s possible to get a new one? Looking at OEM parts, and there is no rod, Have to buy full Damper. Damn I´m screwed.

Anywa I measured the base valve shims. Also measured comp and rebound, but I´m not sure if they are in right order, because I broke it and things were flying. I will post shim stack specs soon.

Base Valve

27 x 34
1 x 32
1 x 30
1 x 28
1x 26
1 x 25
1 x 24
1 x 20
1 x 18
10 x 16
4 x 12