Finding Neutral

Hi guys

My 2013 400RR has 42 hours on it since new and I am really struggling to find neutral when we stop on the trail. The bike just wants to jump to second and miss neutral. I have found that if I shut the bike down and rock it back and forward a bit, it will click into neutral. Would running some thicker or thinner gear oil help? I usually use Motul Transoil 10w40 or do I need to get her looked at, maybe bleed the clutch again? The gearbox shifts smoothly in normal situations.

My 2010 RR is the most difficult bike to find neutral (while running) I've ever owned. I'm curious to see what others say about this.

Try with a little bit of throttle when you search the neutral. 

Oil is important in this case, in my experience with my old RFS 400, Bardhal is excellent, Mobil is good, Motorex is terrible.

On my 300rr the oil in the new bike was Panolin and seems to be good, i replace with Mobil and is a little bit worst, but in general every cross/enduro i rode suffer this problem.

Never see Panolin in any shop. There is something on ebay at good prices (11 euro circa)

Obviously the neutral will ALWAYS enter on the trail when you don't want...

I always have trouble finding neutral. Nearly impossible. I usually just hold the clutch in, or just stop the motor, as it is less hassle. Once the motor is stopped neutral is easy to find. It is definitely aggravating.

Ok, so it's not just me. Maybe the changes on the 2014 model gearbox helps sort this out. In the meantime gonna try 10W50 and 10W30 in the gearbox to see if it helps at all

OK, another reason to get that Rekluse....

Yeah, definitely more so than my 2012 TE 310

Different oils can make a huge difference. Another thing you might try is shifting to neutral before coming completely stopped. 

Different oils can make a huge difference. Another thing you might try is shifting to neutral before coming completely stopped. 

All trannies shift better when the bike is moving, or if stopped already, apply pressure on the shifter (not quite enough to force a shift to 2nd) & blip the throttle enough to make the engine VIBRATE!

My '11 520RS with Castrol GTX 10w40 in the tranny can be difficult to find neutral, if I don't use the techniques above.

Catfish ...

Thanks for the tip catfish

I have tried 10w40 Rotella (both synthetic & conventional), Mobil and 20w50 Amsoil and no change at all finding neutral. This is the worst modern bike of any I have or had. Not only is it hard to find neutral but overall shifting is clunky, noisy and feels like I have no oil at all. Bike has 24hrs and feels the same as day one!

BTW which neutral are you talking about?? Between 1&2 or 2&3 or 4&5??

I always have trouble finding neutral. Nearly impossible. I usually just hold the clutch in, or just stop the motor, as it is less hassle. Once the motor is stopped neutral is easy to find. It is definitely aggravating.

Best answer! I just don't bother with the neutral after the motor is off.

I don't find many false neutrals but once in a while I do. I don't mind the shifting on my bike but it should be better

I have tried 10w40 Rotella (both synthetic & conventional), Mobil and 20w50 Amsoil and no change at all finding neutral. This is the worst modern bike of any I have or had. Not only is it hard to find neutral but overall shifting is clunky, noisy and feels like I have no oil at all. Bike has 24hrs and feels the same as day one!

BTW which neutral are you talking about?? Between 1&2 or 2&3 or 4&5??

Talking about finding neutral between 1&2. Sometimes find a false neutral as well while riding. The gearbox of my 250X didn't really have these issues. Still, I can learn to live with it :p

Hi guys

My 2013 400RR has 42 hours on it since new and I am really struggling to find neutral when we stop on the trail. The bike just wants to jump to second and miss neutral. I have found that if I shut the bike down and rock it back and forward a bit, it will click into neutral. Would running some thicker or thinner gear oil help? I usually use Motul Transoil 10w40 or do I need to get her looked at, maybe bleed the clutch again? The gearbox shifts smoothly in normal situations.

Hi guys

Sounds like a master cylinder problem. If your master cylinder piston does not  have enough travel to lift the pressure plate off of  the disc pak  then your going to have difficulty finding neutral with the engine running off load.  My 08 had difficulty shifting into neutral untill I replaced the AJP master with a 9.5 Magura. You could alternately add shims under the push road lifting boss to mimic a long throw master cylinder but if you go to much clamping force may be compromised.

Edited by widebear

That is another possibility I am going to look into.

"I have found that if I shut the bike down and rock it back and forward a bit, it will click into neutral."

Ditto.

Edited by offworlder

No trouble finding neutral on my 250RR, very easy in fact

I use Panolin, my dealer carries it. '13 300rr, 45 hours, easy to find neutral while still rolling up to my stop, once stopped, not so much. Rocking it back and forth [with legs not clutch] while gently shifting up or down seems to help. Being a trials rider I'm used to less than perfect gear box, or maybe I'm just subconsciously more precise as a missed shift in the section can ruin your day... or maybe it's the oil. At any rate, never missed a shift or found an unintended neutral on this bike, ever.

Anyone used Liqui Moly?

Chain tension is another thing to look at...

Ron W.