Sign in to follow this  

Cr 125 carb question

I have a 2005 cr 125 it was just rebuilt but it still runs a little crappy and it spits out unhurt oil from the expansion chamber and where it meets the silencer. One of the guys I ride with that's been riding all his life said that its my jetting and that I should get a different carb because the mikuni's are horrible. He told me to get a keihin 36mm flat slide off eBay but I can't find any for my year bike. Would I just be able to use an older year keihin carb and will it fit on my 2005.

I have a 2005 cr 125 it was just rebuilt but it still runs a little crappy and it spits out unhurt oil from the expansion chamber and where it meets the silencer. One of the guys I ride with that's been riding all his life said that its my jetting and that I should get a different carb because the mikuni's are horrible. He told me to get a keihin 36mm flat slide off eBay but I can't find any for my year bike. Would I just be able to use an older year keihin carb and will it fit on my 2005.

Don't get a 36mm flatside. Any new carb you get will have to be jetted also, but if you get a newer pwk airstriker with the tps you'll probably only have to get it once, lots of bikes had these carbs, I got mine off obay, a 38mm pwk airstriker from a 2001 yz250, it fits absolutely perfect however its still a little rich, you'll have to lean out a 38mm but I heard it gives more top end, or you could jet your current carb, which will work but I've heard the mikuni tmx's are hard to get right and really finicky

Spend a little time jetting the carb.  Give us a little more information on your current jetting and needle position.  Also, is it running crappy down low or when wide open or both.  Sounds like your running way rich and could drop your needle down a clip or two. 

I was told that it was tunning way to high and its a little more sluggish and crappy than most of the other two strokes I rode with and I heard I should get a new carb because it is easier than trying to get the jetting dialed in

So if I can find 38mm pwk off eBay does anyone have a baseline jetting one could go by for a stock 05 cr125? And is the performance worth it?

So before I click the buy button a couple quick questions.

1) do I need to order a yz250 throttle cable or will mine work?

2) to confirm a 2001 yz250 2 stroke Carb correct not a four stroke..

3) will the electrical plug connect or do I have to modify it?

That's all hopefully someone can help I'm in Michigan as far as jetting a stock motor to it goes any help there would be great.

So before I click the buy button a couple quick questions.

1) do I need to order a yz250 throttle cable or will mine work?

2) to confirm a 2001 yz250 2 stroke Carb correct not a four stroke..

3) will the electrical plug connect or do I have to modify it?

That's all hopefully someone can help I'm in Michigan as far as jetting a stock motor to it goes any help there would be great.

1.yours will work but not super good, I have the origional & its not long enough to give the recommended amount of play in the throttle, it is not fun like that......

2. Post a picture of the carb you're about to order, preferably intake side, and ill tell you, its easy to tell, it has no push/pull throttle and two fins on the intake

3.it needs to be modified, I wrote down which wires interchange but I won't be able to reconnect with that literature for a couple days

And it will be jetted ultra rich, I got mine set

51 pilot

210 main

Necw needle in leanest pos.

#7 slide........ I've gone through 5 plugs. I'm ordering some jets for it soon, sounds dumb but I don't have a job and my last purchase sucked me dry, so no, I don't have 12$ for jets, rough life, I know, just kidding I've asked damn near anywhere I can walk to for a job, but to no avail, license should spell some employment :p enough excuses from me haha, post pics of the carb if possible

Trust me I'm on a extreme budget on this little project, hence why I am trying to gain all the knowledge I can first, thanks to everyone in advance for the replies

$T2eC16FHJIgFHSjeOzt5BSOIFKp0Wg~~60_57.jpeg

mzkjPcCSS3DRx0dp2iaJB7A.jpg

Trust me I'm on a extreme budget on this little project, hence why I am trying to gain all the knowledge I can first, thanks to everyone in advance for the replies

Oh I know that feeling.... and yeap, that's the carb you want, fits right in, id like to know what the jetting is when you get the carb

One last thing, why is it called a pwk air stryker? Are all pwk's air strykers?

Nope, those 2 fins on the intake side make in an airstryker, you can also get a PWM I think, or just a plain PWK, I don't know the difference, but everyones said pwk A/S is the best you can get so I just kinda went with it, it works, mine not well cause the jetting but I'm correcting that asap

Nope, those 2 fins on the intake side make in an airstryker, you can also get a PWM I think, or just a plain PWK, I don't know the difference, but everyones said pwk A/S is the best you can get so I just kinda went with it, it works, mine not well cause the jetting but I'm correcting that asap

Hondamxracer sells wiring harness' for that carb that will allow it to plug into your existing harness.  He does an awesome job and it is well worth it.  There is a thread specific to cr125's with the airstryker carb with jetting ideas.  Just do a search.

Found the link, it was one in the list above.:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/978692-38-pwk-as-in-a-02-cr125/

Edited by frdbtr